whats in a company name

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

when you are looking to name your company you need to pick a name and logo thats stays in the mind and is professional.
    i found this one when i was looking online for lawn info today, and this does it.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Cool! And if it is a family owned business, we can call it The Sodpranos.:laugh:
  3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

haha sodpranos is great... i think the actual name isnt important at all unless you are planning a takeover of the entire area/ state where branding and constant advertising in every publication is going to be done

the only comment i can say is choose a name that can be pronounced/spelt easily you would be suprised how many people use italian and spanish last names that a spelling b champion woul have problems pronouncing. JUST MY OPINION

and another note we tell customers to write checks to J&J landscaping and we get checks written out in 4-5 different variations which shows they didnt choose us because of our name but im assuming because of our service
  4. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

Yes i read a book about starting a business and they say that your name is very imortant that it pertains to what you do and is catchy. Think about it, if you see for example, my name, Classy Grass, youd know that im affiliated with lawncare or landscaping or drugs but hopefully not the last part... however, if i expand into powerwashing, i may want to think of another name.

you want something quick and easy to remember and pertains to what you do. Thats my input/logic atleast

And the Sodfather is awesome, haha
  5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That is a cool company name, and logo.

I like the phrase at the bottom too:)
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do recommend giving it some thought, if for no other reason than once you have it, you're stuck with it.
    That is, you can change it but you'll go through a big rigmarole, and some folks may wonder why...
    ehm ok: The LAST thing you want to do is have to change it later, so do it right the first time.

Not saying catchy isn't good, but don't outsmart yourself. In the case of the sodpranos, that is awesome, but one can easily hurt oneself here... I would recommend being conservative just for this reason, but certainly before you go to the courthouse to register it, run it past some folks and watch their reaction.

One thing I did notice is, the hidden meaning of a name can and does attract a certain type of customer, but only to a point: Unfortunately, it is usually up to the customer(s) to find this hidden meaning lol

Other than that, I do agree:
    - It should be related to what you do, absolutely!
    - Not too long or complicated.
  7. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

To me ... an name represents you and/or the work you do. It is all part of the image you portray ... and my honest opinion is that we are in the image business.

8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i like that sodfather one.it is very important to think about.i have my own personal name to my business.it has it benefits but certainally it down fulls