What's in a name? Funny or professional

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GCLC, Feb 9, 2008.

1. GCLC

GCLC LawnSite Member

I've been driving myself and everyone around me crazy trying to come up with name. EVERYTHING is taken it seems like. I've narrowed it down to two. One is kinda funny, the other more professional.

I'm afraid customers won't take us seriously if we have a funny name, but some people I've asked said they like it. How bout a vote?

Blades of Glory

I registered them both today at the courthouse, so i guess if blades of glory didn't work out I could just switch, but I'd have extra cost and wasted time. I'm sure some of you have funny names, how do they work?

I even thought of mowtown, and we could get an ice cream truck system playing motown while we drive around, but the name was actually taken! So much for being original!
  2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

You call that funny? how about (Me and Pedro) or (Roadkill Yard Care) or
    ( Dancing and Mowing ). You need a catchy name that will jump off the page and the customers will see no other names but yours. We have found 95% of our customers are women not men who know how they want how their yards taken care of. So you have to address them first. Make it funny and it will pay off for you the most, it has for us big time. We live in a small town of 4000 and our mowing company is number one in customers, mostly because of our name. Been in business only 3 years and we grossed over $150,000 last year April thru DEC 1.:hammerhead:
  3. GCLC

GCLC LawnSite Member

Have you seen the movie?
  4. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

I think Blades of Glory is catchy. Not too goofy.
  5. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I vote for Blades of Glory because it comes up at the top of the list in the yellow pages and it is memorable.
  6. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

If you want funny how about.........landgasm!
  7. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

2 clowns mowing is your biz name? You would have to have the best yards in the area to have a name like that and people call.To me that doesnt sound like a name I would want to call or write a monthly check to.$150000 gross but you dont say how much overhead you have expenses,employees, etc, you have.If you look at the top 100 companies in the lawn care industry you wont find one with a goofy name.I guess it depends on how far you want to go with it.
  8. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

I dont like blades of glory or yard pro but if I was forced to pick Id pick blades of glory due to originality.
  9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

don't rack your brains...
    K.I.S.S. = Keep it simple stupid.
    It's about quality and rep, not the name... keep it short and simple.

Carolina Cuts - Not your ordinary pain in the grass lawn service.

YardPro is probably being used 1000x over across the states...
    Blades of Glory??? Funny? nahh, not really... but it makes some kinda sense and goes w/ the industry. If you like it, use it. Focus on quality and dependability.
  10. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I think I would go with catchy, not funny. You want it to be rememberable and all but if its to funny you won't be takin seriously. I think mine (Sweet Tater's Lawn Service ) is boderline between the 2 but it works in this rural area.