What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenhorn, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm new (as the name suggests) to posting, but not new to your postings.I wish to compliment and thank everyone for the unbelievable wealth of knowledge and experience expressed on this site. i have been reading this site and it's endless postings for the past two months.
    Been doing the background and prelims on getting into the lawn care business but had forgot one very important aspect.
    A name!! I have read the Business Name section of this site.
    Here are a few of the ones I came up with or found.
    Could you please read, comment and suggest.
    Again, many thanks.

Lawn Order
    Lawn Perfect
    Lawn Enforcement
    Grounds Groomer
    A Cut Above
    Green Oasis

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Saint John's Greenhorn Rookie Beginner Lawn Service. :)

Just kidding, I like the Green Oasis myself.

3. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I like the Lawn enforcer myself. You can give out citations as you the lawn. Police hummer

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I like a cut above, that name is already on here... You just have to check and register it with your state to see if it's taken. You want something that people will remember.

5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i always wonder if guys stay awake at night dreaming up these names.but it seems the general public likes the cute names, i guess they think it's more professional or something.what do you think of "LAWN GODS" as a promotional kind of thing.then you can show up for an estimate wearing a white robe and a big flowing beard.gotta paint both sides of the enclosed trailer with a BIG clenched fist coming out of a cloud clutching a line trimmer-yeah,that ought to sell some service.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I think there is a lot to a name. And I think the most important thing to do is keep the name professional, and not too corny. Some names, like ProGrass, sound cute, but still professional. It also implies a certain level of service to be expected. And people really buy into that. A Cut Above is also a clever, yet professionally sounding name. But something like "Lawn Gods" almost sounds a little too arrogant to me.

Also, I read once in a book on marketing that your business name should tell people what you do, just by the name. I think that's a valid point.

IMO, the best names are ones that are more conservative. Ones that don't try to be cute at all but just imply a very professional service. Here are a few names from some local, successful companies that I like;

Northwest Landscape Industries
    All Oregon Landscaping
    Northwest Groundworks
    Precision Landscape Services

I really think names ending in "Landscape Services", "Landscape Management", are excellent choices. They imply a lot of services. And you may want to offer more landscaping services one day. Whereas a name like "lawn enforcement" sounds rather limiting.

One other thought; I always think when people use their first AND last name in a business name that it makes them sound more arrogant. Plus, "John Doe Landscaping" just sounds cheesy and rinky dink.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't going to comment until I read the post by Mr. Lewis. I use my FIRST and LAST name as my business name. How do you figure this to be arrogant? I'm not upset, I'm just curious.

8. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

how bout golden touch lawncare or just say mow

9. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

someone around here is[ James Brown, godfather of soil] i think thats pretty darn cool

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Dang it. I knew I was going to offend someone here when I made that comment about the first and last name. Sorry. But to me, when I see a truck that says "John Doe Landscaping", "Joe Black Construction", etc. I just think it's some guy with a big ego who wants everyone to know his name. Like why else would they put their first and last name in the business? Like I said, it also makes me think they are rinky dink. Like it's just John Doe and a buddy of his doing the work. Again, I am sorry if this offends. It's just my perception. Maybe I am wrong to think that others perceive it this way too.

I am sure I just dug a deeper hole for myself. Hold on a second while I take my foot out of my mouth....