1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's in a Name

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Jul 24, 2005.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Did you guys give the name of your company a lot of thought ?

and did ya register it ?

does it really matter ?

I mean is Joe's lawn care less apealing than the lawn king ? or something like that...
  2. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

Wondering the same thing... I'm in the process of starting up my own service (mostly in the plannning and research and Buying) right now and I'm trying to come up with a name...

Also, should I try and come up with a name that starts with an A as it come 1st in the Phone Book???
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I think there is alot in a name because the name of your biz is the first immpression a potential customer/client
    gets of you and your business.So it should seperate you from the pack
    .Something that will stick in their brain for awhile.You shouldent care if it comes 1st in the book cuz that is not that much of a factor.
    But if your name jumps out at them from the page,has a catchy logo,and your add or business card is done tastefully and with class,they are more
    prone to remembering it.And

You are more likely to draw in the customers you want.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with "Super Affordable but not cheap looking with awesome customer service Lawn Care".

You could acronym it to "SABNCLWACSLC" on the business card :)
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yes in the olden days a phone book was an issue. I remember hearing that ya should not pick a name that would be listed 1st on the list nor last...about 4 to 5th in the book..
    But lets face it, Who looks in the phone book anymore,
    I mena here in Dallas Tx. We have about 4 to 5 very large thick phone books and they bring more every 3 mts...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I gave it some thought, and also if you're not going to register it, then why bother? Whether the name matters, that can be debated thou I think it does. Far as registration, that's the law, and being legit matters to me.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

omg use the kiss principle and shorten all that to Sh!7 Lawn Care, lol.
    Far as myself, I did use the words Lawncare (one word, whether it is correct grammar I do not care, one word is easier on forms) and for the other part I used a geographical term to somewhat define location.
    The obvious terms such as YourCounty Lawncare I don't like, too common and possibly already taken but if it isn't, I still wouldn't do it. I used the name of a subdivision myself but not the name of a neighborhood, it's more like the name of a part of town. Also some street names would work good.
  8. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

he doesnt have insurance either, you need to get your name registered, what if your a success, then someone comes and registures your name after you are well established.... then your screwed, all the name recognitioon you worked hard for will go to the guy who registured the name...... thats just stupid, like thinking you dont need insurance.. :dizzy:
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

So, what is the name you chose?

I thought a subdivision and a neighborhood were the same thing??