1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michigangrass, Jun 4, 2003.

1. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

How many have gone from "lawn care" or "lawn & landscape" to "property management", etc. and noticed a differance when prospects and customers consider you for services?

I do realize that "property management", etc. leaves the door open for a number of opportunities not generally associated with the other two. But how many have actually noticed the differance?
  2. green boy

green boy LawnSite Member
    from texas

Good thought, I was picked out of a group of names before just because of our name. If you add other things to your services it would more then likely fit into the name.
  3. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

if you put landscape in your name you better know alot of the extra stuff because they will ask you more I have noticed that since I added it to my name.
  4. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

We're already lawn & landscape. We're looking to grow ever more and just wanted to know if property management, outdoor services, property maintenance, etc. make a difference when tied into your name.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Property Management Here Means You Can Take care Of Everything, Roofs,Tar,Floods,Lighting And So On. Its not Just Mowing and trimming.
  6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

That's about how it's understood here too, i thought about changing to "Turf & Landscape Mgmt" or "Outdoor Grounds Maintenance":)
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

How About TOTAL PROPERTY MANAGEMENT By______________
    Or something Like that.
  8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I had a lady call the other day, when I went to meet with her she said that she was surprised that my prices weren't outrageous because I have Landscape in my business name.
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have moved onto property management and added "Services" to my name.
    I still do the same landscaping and lawn maintenance, but I have found that dump runs are a quick, easy money maker, good for rainy days.

I am in a resort area with many second homes for people. Home watch is also a good money maker.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason, property management just doesn't fit into the equation of industry terms for me. I guess the reason being, is that with this many years in the business, I've dealt with several "property management" companies. These have always been companies that are hired by owners to oversee all operations, including grounds maintenance, inside cleaning, rent, taxes, and other needs having to do with the upkeep of real estate. To me, this is like equating a muffler shop to a full service garage.
    The same applies in industry terms as far as what this business is. Many people use the term "lawn care" whan in fact, they don't even do lawn care as written in text. The term "lawn care" in college text, actually applies to the use of fertilizers and chemicals, not to mowing, while the term "lawn service" or even better and more so, the terms "grounds maintenance" and "landscape maintenance" or "management" is better suited for the aspect of the maintenance end of it. Now, occasionally we'll even see some stuff spray painted on the sides of vans and such, such as "yard care" or "lawn work". This is usually accompanied by the slogan "will work for beer money."