Whats in there???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by born2farm, Dec 29, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

Well as I was loading the new toolbox on my truck today I got wondering what everyone else carries in there toolboxes. Type away.

2. ryry278

ryry278 LawnSite Senior Member

Hm well when i got my new truck i had no where to mount my truck box, but what i keep in my truck and did in my old truck box..
    good strong rope
    a tarp
    a socket set
    hammers
    assortment of nails,screws, nuts and other random things
    screw drivers
    a jack
    razor knife for than dang landscape fabric
    bungie cords and straps
    a ton other stuff
    mine used to be real nice and neat but you will find unless you keep on it that it will go wild out of control stuff everywhere.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have no idea whats in my toolbox...I have my measuring wheel, and plant tarp on top. I have no idea whats under it. Im scared to look.

4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Haha, yeah mine isn't much better than texans. My mow truck has a measuring wheel, tire plugs, little air compressor, jumper cables, tool set, cordless impact, rope, straps, and a little basket with some misc. chemicals, mole killer, roundup, broadleaf, it's also my spray truck. My pickup has another measuring wheel, rigid 4-pak, jump box, misc. irrigation parts/tools. plow emergency kit, levels/tapes, whatever else it collects. I just started loading the underbody boxes on my dump, so far got some chains, my little stihl chainsaw, washer fluid, still stocking her up.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

crap i dont remeber where i put my truck tool box!! i think its in my storage shed somewhere

6. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

The really sad part is I know exactly what is in my truck box. Here goes.
    Full set of tools in 5 draw crapsman tool box
    complete socket set 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drives
    battery jump starter with compressor
    full High Vis rain gear
    two 12 ton come alongs with 75' of 3/8" air craft cabble
    3 30000 LBS tow straps
    Triangle set / 4 LED safety flare set
    A home depot bucket with hand shovels, extra trimmer line, 2 cycle oil, prunning shears.
    Adjustable pintal hitch
    Three boxes one for bungies, one for tie down ratchet straps, the last for boat line rope. (2-50')
    Bucket of scrubs hand wipes
    three quarts of powerstroke 15w40 and a gallon of diesel fuel conditioner
    one gallon of washer fluid and ice scrapers for winter months only
    6 piece dewalt 18volt tool kit
    3000 watt power inverter and 25' of extention cord

I think that is about it. I use to do highway construction and off road recovery on the side when I worked for the power company. Yes it all fits and it is perfectly organized. The good news is I could flip the truck over and nothing would move. The bad news, I takes a week to repack it just to get a screwdriver.

7. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like its packed in there. do you charge you dewalt set in the truck or at home? im trying to find a way to run a power inverter back there someway thats easy.

8. brandon9996

brandon9996 LawnSite Member

Ive got just about as many tools laying in my bed and inside my farm truck than whats in my tool box haha, i noticed your name said born to farm and i was just wondering what kind of farmer you were? I farm with my dad and grandpa in North East Arkansas we got 14,240 acres of cotton, rice, corn, and soybeans.

9. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both. I purchased the dewalt 12volt charger for the 18 volt batteries. I also have a PTO on my truck. It can run either the generator or the hydraulic pump. It depends which switch I hit. Actually it can run both. The truck is set up to high idle when the generator is switched on, which is 12000 watts. The hydraulics require a stand alone reservoir. It is a 15 gallon tank that hooks up in line. I can run the hydraulic jackhammer, trash pump, concrete saw, and chain saw. Great tools, but very expensive. I think I went a little over board with this truck:laugh:

Now to your question. On my old truck, I had a 1200 watt inverter, mounted behind the seat. The inverter needs 6 gauge cables of the truck batteries. I went with 2 gauge to better handle the loads. From the inverter I ran a heavy 10 gauge extension cord into my truck box. The cable plugs into the inverter inside the cab. I than drilled a hole through the side of the tool box and mounted a double outlet box. When I need the juice, I just flip the inverter on, and bamb, 10 amps of power. I still had the extra outlet on the inside of the truck to run lap tops, cell, charge batteries and flashlights.

Hope this helps clear the air about the inverters. PM if you need help. I guess working for the power company had its perks.

10. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

ice, beer, and fishing poles