whats in those leaves?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Jimslawncareservice, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Every fricking time I get in leaf dust I get a real bad cough. When I unload the trailer I cough so bad I puke at times. Those masks just don't cut it either. I have a respirator mask, but on warm days I sweat so bad I almost pass out. This year was worse than ever. Early freeze, and being so dang dry.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. mowyo

mowyo LawnSite Member

I've been holding my breath until the wind's in my favor . Ought to be a heck of a swimmer when this is over .

my leaf pickups are about done and then all will be good...

You may be allergic to leaf dust sounds like way more than normal suffering .

3. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Had same issue this year. Its like I've had pneumonia for the last month. My cousin said were all going to die from green lung, the outdoorsman's asbestos.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure you guys have issues besides leaves. Smokers? Chewers? What else? I have no issues and I mulch all my leaves. But I don't have any nasty habits either.

6. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

No smoker or chewer here. Other years I would cough here and there, but this year is just horrible. The ones I did yesterday I used my 950 mod deck since all my baggers are put away because I was done and getting ready for snow. I also was cleaning up mower too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

I forgot to mention that I had a guy helping me who smoked. I thought his lungs were going to come out. He puked about every hour. When on the mower the dust doesn't bother me too bad, but of I het around the dust after the leaves have been chopped up or handled once, its bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on the good dust masks- well worth it. I use moldex 2300n it also has ex. valve and a carbon filter layer- works really well- no black boogers!

About 4$ each, but again, wellllll worth it.

9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Also consider this....if there are pesticides or fertilizer on a lawn while mowing, or in the grass leaf tissue even, when it gets ground up and aerosoled into the air you breathe that can't be good either. Try to wear a mask any time it's dusty. Leaves have mold on them and possibly pesticides in them. better safe than puking!

10. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I developed a bad habit this year, one that I gave up as soon as I realized what I was doing to myself, I was using a hand fertilizer spreader to get into small places such as a small side yard or in a couple of cases real small properties - I began to realize that the fertilser was getting to me - so two considerations.

Depending on when the leaves fell and what kind they are and how much fertilzier you had on the ground just before athat - or how much pesticide someone put in the air column, another thought, again based on leaf type was there mold around - weird that the smoker was affected, because heavy smokers have some protection in that a greater portion of there lung capacity is closed and there fore protect. I say this cause locally we have had some guys get killed by jumping in a dirty fish hold where clorine gases built up, the only servivor so far was a guy that smoked a lot.