What's in your business portfolio?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by vkurt711, Nov 21, 2005.

1. vkurt711

vkurt711 LawnSite Member

In my current business model, mow and go under 10000 square feet works best for me. I may have more accounts than if they were full service, but each one is expendable. I also don't have to deal with people complaining their bushes were not trimmed right or there is a weed in their flower bed. If I have a PITA, they're gone. If someone doesn't like to pay on time, it does not hurt me and they're gone.

What mix works for you and your company? Do you mow and go only with properties that are <10,000 sq. ft.? Or do you have a mix of full service and mow and go smaller and larger residential properties as well as commercial properties that you maintain? Do you just take whatever work comes your way, or are you selective in what you accept? In your experience, does diversification work better than sticking to "do one thing and do it well"?

Kurt

2. vkurt711

vkurt711 LawnSite Member

Anyone care to share???;) Anyone at all.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I consider my business fairly diverse, meaning I will take on about anything, even if it includes subbing work out. When I bought this business (and it wasn't much, junk equipment and only 6 accounts) it came with a dethatcher and aerator, so I was diverse right off the bat. Even though mowing actually brings in the largest chunk of change, it's the least profitable. It's so competitive around here I loose as many estimates that I give every year. While expanding in other areas that are more profitable, like chem apps and landscaping, I will keep on mowing until I can get a full schedule and hire an employee or two and start concertrating more on attaining more services with higher profit margins. In addition to landscaping and chem apps, other services include aeration, dethatching and overseeding with much higher profit margins compared to mowing.