what's in YOUR grasscut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 24, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

interesting conversation i had, with a fellow i met while cutting grass. i saw him mowing the lawn across from the one i was doing, and since i will talk to anyone who will listen, for as long as they will listen, i went over, introduced myself, and started chatting. he decided i was a lowballer. here is my question: ring...ring....you:" good afternoon, xyz lawn service." me, " hi, my name is mr smith, i live at 222 rock road. i need a quote for a grasscutting service, just a weekly mow, can you tell me what is included, for the grasscutting price?"

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow of all turfgrass areas, string trim around all trees, flowerbeds, fences and lawn obstacles, edging of walks, curbs, hardscapes, spraying of all vegetative growth from curblines and sidewalk & driveway seams, blowing off of curbline, walks, patios, decks & hardscapes. Lawn mowed at approx. 3", bagging as needed.

Contract spells it out more clearly w/ clause for fuel surcharge, leaf removal & clean-up costs.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

MOW, EDGE AND BLOW! That is what is in my Lawn cutting. Now if we are talking Full service then it includes alot more. However we aren't. Cost? let me come over and give you a bid.
    Swindle them in for the full meal deal. You know. Shrubs, bed maintenance, fert, annual color. All but 3 bids that signed this year signed for full service. Of those 3 I met with 1 of them.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

what "leaf removal" are we talking about? i am mr smith, and i want a price for you to CUT MY LAWN. i didn't ASK for clean ups, i asked to have my grass cut.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing of all turfgrass areas on a weekly basis or as needed. Service to include mowing; string trimming around all trees, fences and lawn obstacles; edging of landscaped beds, sidewalks, and curbs; blowing of debris from all walks, drives and any other hardscapes.

Chris

6. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby,

I give two options, the following is directly out of my contract

BASIC MONTHLY PACKAGE​
    This Service includes:
    - Lawn Cutting
    - Trimming around Trees, Walkways, Landscaped Beds, Fences and any other obstructions.
    - Removal of Clippings and Debris on Driveway, Patio, Walkways, and the street surrounding the above mentioned property.

PREMIER PACKAGE​
    This Service includes:
    - Lawn Cutting (Clippings to be bagged or mulched as needed determined by the contractor).
    - Trimming around Trees, Walkways, Landscaped Beds, Fences and any other obstructions.
    - Removal of Clippings and Debris on Driveway, Patio, Walkways, and the street surrounding the above mentioned property.
    - Edging of Curbs and Landscaped Beds at least twice a month
    - Landscape Bed Maintenance (Hand weeding at least once a month and raking of mulch)

As far as what they get, it is exactly as it appears in the agreement. Nothing more and Nothing less.

What about you? do you spray curbs and pick-up leaves and clean their boat too? :)

Jason

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, fine. what if...i don't want my "landscape beds" edged? is the price still the same? also, this " blowing of debris", is it incluided, no matter what? what if the "debris" is excessive at times, for example, heavy rains/wind making a severe mess, sycamore trees creating a big mess. what if i elect not to have you "blow the debris". also, what do you mean by "debris"? is it your grass clippings, or is it anything that has fallen on my driveway and walkways since your last visit? you see, this can vary from a 2 minute blowing, up to a 45 minute blowing, pending conditions. what do you mean by "blowing debris"?

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I think most people understand that a lawn care company will blow away debris that is the result of the lawn care work and not of other incidentals unless it's pretty small stuff.

Of course, if you really want to get their attention, offer to sandblast their noses and ears. That way, you'll know if they're really listening.

9. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

mow(perfect stripes everytime!), edge all edges and tree rings, top off all edges, weedeat anything that is taller than the grass i have cut, then blow off all hard surfaces, even ones i didnt get grass on, and blow out all beds!

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry Mr. Smith --- our basic package would include spring & fall clean-ups... if you want mowing only... we don't offer that as a stand-alone service.