1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's insurance for?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Neophyte, May 1, 2008.

1. Lawn Neophyte

Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member

and what kind of license do I need? An occupational license???
  2. Gilligan

Gilligan LawnSite Member
    from Florida

There are many types of insurance.

Property type coverages...to cover loss or theft to your equipment

Liability type coverages...to cover bodily injury or property damage to someone elses property..Car, house, a person...etc...

Workers Comp....to cover injury to an employee

Auto...No need to explain this one...

and the list goes on....

Go to your tax office and you can fill out the forms to get your occ license...

Hope this helped
  3. Lawn Neophyte

Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member

THanks. It seems all I need is Liability ins for just in case I damage someone else's property and and occ license.

BTW, I live in FL, so do you or anyone else know if getting ins and a occ license is requires by law??
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

General Liability insurance would be most LCO's chief concern to cover their buns
  5. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

I agree with DA get liability insrance just to be safe
  6. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I also live in Florida and have 1 million in liability insurance for $427 a year. This is based on your yearly net, or profit. If you are just starting out, as I am, your net....will more than likely be at the base....or as low as it will go....then as you make more profit....or higher workers....if need be...it will go up. But I would assume by your question, that you are like myself, and just starting out.....so your net is going to be fairly low the first year.

If you have absolutely no idea where to start....I would do this....go to yahoo.com.....go down to yellow pages listing....punch in "insurance broker"....and then start to call around from that list accoring to your locaton. Just tell them you are new to the biz, you don't make a lot of money, you are just wanting to start out the right way....legal.

Worse comes to worse....I'll give you the company I went through. 1 Million a year was $125 down....and then the rest in payments. Very cheap and much needed. Plus....you can always throw out the phrase "I am licensed and insured" to your prospective customer.

Good luck!

Good luck!...Hope that helps.