What's it Like Being a Mowing Contractor in Canada ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Here is some information for to clear up confusion that occasionally arises about running a Lawncare Operation in Canada.

All the snow in Canada is melted by mid July and we have 1 or 2 weeks of "Winter Break" clean-ups where we rake up all the Maple leaves and branches from the Maple trees on the lawns. The first week of August we start mowing, there are 2 weeks of really heavy growth and then things ease up for the remainder of the mowing season. The final cuts are done by the first week of October and then we have 2 weeks of frantic leaf clean-ups before the snow hits.

A good season in Canada would be 12-14 weeks of mowing and clean-ups. There is a very small window of opportunity for profits in the Green Industry so one must work very hard for those 12 weeks. The rest of the year is either spent relaxing and preparing for next season or, for the more ambitious, a snow removal service. Snow removal in Canada, however, is difficult because almost every homeowner and commercial site owns there own plow.

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You forgot the time we spend in Florida not tipping the poor folk like Ric.
    :p
    Last year we were just lucky to get our Igloo rebuilt before the snow hit in late August. Then the neighbour's pet polar bear ate all the fish in our pond and we had to eat our mukaluks to survive the winter months. We are hoping for a better year next year.

3. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

you were lucky cantoo, i didnt get my igloo built in time... :waving:

Had to live in the ice fishing hut for while... :cool:

great white north.jpg

4. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

out on the west coast, specifically Vancouver Island, our mowing season is about 9-10 months, no snow whatsoever year round, grass sun and grass growing!!

5. cantoo

My kids last summer during summer break.

bikes1.jpg

6. cantoo

I had to trailer to Florida so I could ride my bike.

florida1.jpg

7. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

gotta love that midnight sun, eh?

midnight sun.jpg

8. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

nothing like heating those igloos with seal fat.
    That reminds me I better go check the trap lines.
    take off Eh!

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I Heard Our Buddy Ric Trader may Need some $$$ to cover A Lawsuit from Yard Doctor...He still Hasn't Cleared Up all the Name Infringements on his Website...The Generous Tips from Canadians on Mercy Visits to his Ravaged State are his Primary Source of Income.

Regardless, Only 4 months Before all the Snow in Canada Melts & We Start Cutting Lawns!

10. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

the eco mower hangs perfectly in the igloo.

600x450_bikemower.jpg

600x450_typerlawnmower.sized.jpg