What's it like there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Jun 1, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

What's it like where you live?
    Well, let me just tell you what it's like here.
    Population: 16,000
    Lawn Services: 200+
    Of the 200 plus, how many are Scrubs: 95%

There are maybe 10 lawn services here that are professionals. The rest are scrubs. Does anyone else have this many scrubs where they live?

It's terrible driving from job to job everyday. You see all these scrubs driving cars around with push mowers in the back. Then you see all these cars pulling tiny trailers with old school riding mowers and push mowers. They bid $10 - $15 no matter how long it takes them to get the job done.

How can we compete with these guys? Are there that many scrubs everywhere else in the world? Or is it just like that here. I mean our town is small (16,000) and there are 200 plus lawn services. It's CRAZY here!!!!! What about where you all live?

2. ztrguy,

You are about to get hammered. Welcome to Lawnsite.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

:sleeping: scrub this scrub that!

4. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

no scrubs here

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

population 200,000 with an extra 100,000 in nearby surrounding towns/villages. There are a lot of perfessionals here. I'm sure there are some scrub workers to but for the most part I see a lot good quality companies here. It's great to see and many are very friendly they wave or will shoot the chit with you at the gas station.

6. Duncan Lawn Care

Duncan Lawn Care LawnSite Member

300,000+ people here. Seems like 10,000 pickups running around with a mower in the back. Cheap people hire the cheapest help!!!!!!That's good in my opinion, keeps them from calling me and wasting my time.

7. 3500 in my town ,
    and 4 LCOs including myself,
    about 20000 in the county
    and about 10 lcos in the rest of the county.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

16, 000? your name aint mccoy, is it? ive got that many people living on my block. but, really, yup there are many many lawn companies, and more and more every day. just noticed the other day, ive been seeing this guy around here, the signs on his truck indicate he is based about an hour away! they are comming out of the woodwork. scrubs? well, if you mean people working cheap, yup, they are all like that.

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of them around here.

Of the about 1500 companies there are VERY FEW real LCO's There is even a group from utah that comes down here every aerating season and underbids everyone and then drives back up there and the cycle goes round and round. There are probaly 150/1500 that are licenced.

10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

5,600 in town 25,000 in parish 4 other lcos and myself + about 25 "scrubs"