What's it like where you are.. demanding or laid back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think I have it pretty easy here. I receive maybe one phone call a month about something minor. It could be that I do great work at a fair price... Nah ;)

Lawns are large (mostly 1 acre or more) and non irrigated here.. So having and maintaining a lush healthy lawn is no easy task, and not cheap! The hard clay soil and summertime droughts don't help much either.

Most of the wealthy neighborhoods here have a lot of lawns that are infested with weeds and crabbgrass.. Not only that.. I see a lot of LCOs not edging anything and leaving clippings on the lawn and in beds. It looks rediculous to see $500,000+ homes with **** lawns.

Anyway.. It's pretty laid back. It just does not appear to be a priorty around here. People basically just want their lawn cut... not have the best on the block. Sometimes I wish it (being demanding) were the case as I find myself getting a little too comfortable and slacking at times... High demand would keep me on my toes.

How is it in your neck of the woods?

Very demanding? Do clients call you over the smallest detail? Would you trade a few bucks for a laid back atmosphere???

2. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

My general area is that people are; quick quick, come on, come on... They want things done right away. I find that my customers fall in a range between get it done when you have the time, or we need it done tomorow. As far as work completion time goes... once you get started you should be done the next day. They want it started and finished real fast. The quicker you work the more work you get.

3. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Virtually all of the good concientious LCOs here do far more than the customer expects. The scrubs don't. Somewhere along the line in years past, somebody raised the bar up high and we've all been reaching for it ever since. And that's a good thing.

We all have our favorite "showcase" yards and the lady that owns mine, one day asked me why I was striping it. ( isn't that precious?)

I just said: "Pride mam, just simple pride.":p

4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

My first account asked me what I was doing (edging), no one ever did it before. No one ever striped it before either. They started out as every other week but, because it looks so good they want it more often except when it turned brown because of the drought. It's back and looks great.

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

laid back here, although getting less so.

see a lot more striping than, say, five yrs ago. especially on commercial props

still VERY rare to see edging. i have seen props with it done, but i've NEVER had a customer ask for it, or ask why we dont. Never even done an estimate where it was requested.

we do get phone calls, though.

6. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Laid back except for one account and they though i should come mowe in the pouring rain and the property and R/C club is basically in the run off of a lake. They said if my company could no longer handle it then they would find someone else. I said if they want it mowed only once a month like they were doing and calling telling me to skip cuts they could have fun trying to find another company that would do it for my price and only twice a year. they shopped around and actually called me back and ask if i knew of a company that would do the cheap once a month operation. i sugge4sted the4y try a hay baling company.

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

As for my customers, it is pretty laid back.

There is more pressure and demands put on me be myself, than from my customers.. I have found out over the years that I expect more of myself than my customers do. This is good because there are hardly no complaints. The job is always finished, even if it means tat I might looze my behind.:blush: It does happen sometime to, but it all evens out in the end.
    I have become very confident an happy, over the years, that when the phone rings, there will not be complaints comming from the other end.:D

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

My phone never rings. I have settled into doing mostly low-medium quality lawns with easygoing clients. I found doing high end really nice lawns was a little nerve-wracking and required more concentration than my daydreaming mind was up for. I like to listen to talk radio and music on my headphones, and though I do quality work, I wouldn't want to spend all my brain power on getting those lawn stripes JUST RIGHT. My rule is to mow em in a manner suitable for the lawn quality, but to do just a little more than expected, to deliver value and make them happy. The better the lawn, the better I mow and the more I charge. But past a point, I just can't charge enough to justify the extra effort and time on some lawns. No lawn of mine is mowed poorly, some get more than they deserve ;) But almost every lawn suffers here in our summer droughts, so even the better ones aren't lush and beautiful all the time. In my situation, I seem to make more doing the simpler lawns than I did doing really manicured lawns.

Some of the amazing striping jobs I see here give me a headache thinking about how hard they had to concentrate to get such straight lines.

A friend of mine invested in a trimmer reel mower to do those really nice lawns. He sold it within a year. Nobody really wanted to pay what it took to do the lawn with a reel mower, despite their early enthusiasm for them. $60 to mow a postage stamp lawn doesn't sit well with most folks, even the wealthy. I did a Zoysia lawn that took me 2 1/2 hours with a reel mower. When I talked them into letting me try my rotary walk behind, it took 45 minutes and they were just as happy with the cut, since my mower also sucked up the pinestraw laying on the lawn. I made more, they saved some money, and everybody won.