1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats it take to get rich?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by woodie08, May 1, 2008.

1. woodie08

woodie08 LawnSite Member

whats it take to get rich? I heir 6 figures a year that sound insane to me. up in the northeast its seasonal. 7 months. it cant be in residential it must be commercial.how can you afford paying somebody 10.00 to 15.00 hr when charging 25.00 cut per residential that take hr to do? that 10.00 to 15.00gets ate up in gas, workers comp. and all kinds of things. or leaves you with a little that makes it not worth it ,so it has to be in commercial properties right? I know snowplowing can help but up here for resident its about 150.00 to 200.00 a season. how big does your company have to be to make six figures a year for your self?
  2. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

$25 for a job that takes a full hour. Most kids out of school for the summer looking for beer money wouldn't touch that. If you are taking a full hour it better be a pretty big lot.
  3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Its possible doing it solo or with 1 other guy. You just need great customers, make smart decisions with the company's money, and QUALITY WORKMANSHIP. Its very possible in the market where I live, I'm not sure about american areas.
  4. FNG

FNG LawnSite Member

HEY! Stay out of my neighborhood! I saw you this AM. :nono:

5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

what's your idea of six figures? $100,000.00/year or $800,000.00/year.

I would think your operation would have to be bringin' in $500,000.00/year in order for YOU to be getting around $100,000.00./year for yourself...
    remember, it costs alot of money to bring in a half a million a year. Specially if it's just lawn maintenance. 2 or 3 crews generating $200k+ a year each.
    now ya got a lot of payroll, insurance, taxes, gas, equipment, etc....
    Even a solo operation that brings in close to $100k will put out alot of money throughout the year. But I don't know too many solos that can do that kind of money. $30 lawns, ten a day, six days a week for 52 weeks is a little over $90k.... that's alot of work....

Maybe be possible in Florida. But you'd weigh 110lbs.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

The only 'small' guy i know pulling in over 100K a year is designer, who subs out 80% of his installs. He hits hard, works 6-7 months a year, and spends winters in Costa Rica. Employes a couple of grunts for the summer, and didnt own a skid steer till last year. Doesn't cut a blade of grass.

I definitely make more than that net yearly, but I employ a few crews, and work year round-and have been at this for 15 years. The only residential we do is design/build and inground pools, the rest is all commercial/industrial/municipal.

At the numbers your quoting for an hours work, you'll never get there.
  7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

One hour for residential and only $25 bucks ? Not gonna make it Bro.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

The first pre-requisite is you have to be willing to lose your soul !!
  9. FNG

FNG LawnSite Member

Just like in Drag Racing, if you want to make a small fortune in this business, start with a large one.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeh and the mind, also.