What's it Worth....Ferris 5000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine has a chance to buy a Ferris 5000 with a Cat Diesel and 72" deck....He primarily does lawns 1/2 acre and under...Currently uses a Ferris 3000 Extreme....The Ferris 5000 has 405 hours on it and looks pretty much like new with the exception of paint scrapes on the front and rear of the machine
    (where other mowers rubbed against it on the trailer while transporting it from job to job)...The seat has a couple rips along the top from close encounters with low lying tree branches....Tires show very minimal wear. I think the new price is about $13500 not including tax....How much would you think a machine like this would be worth?....Also, Does anybody know what the cost of a 61" side discharge deck is for this machine (he was curious since his other 2 machies are 61" and he thought it would be a good ide for the stripes to match in the event the 5000 would have to be down for servicing or maintenance....Anybody out there have any opinions on the 5000 good or bad?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

This is a question for Rod. He runs ferris.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, 405 hours on that diesel is simply nothing in terms of wear. That engine is scheduled to go 6000 hours before anything major is needed. IMO, the deck will practically fall off before that machine ever sees 6000 hours of operation.

As for the price, I'm gonna say around 11 - 11.5K give or take. That 5000IS only comes in 72" side or rear discharge. The 4500IS you can get in either gas or diesel, 61" discharge.

I demoed one for a week long time ago before they went into mass production. They are big, heavy machines topping out with an operator around 2 thousand pounds. Currently I have a bunch of Ferris WB's, a couple of 3000's, a 4000 (which is heavy) as well.

Hope that helps...
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly, I wouldn't pay more than about $9,000 for it.

I realize that it's a big time mower if you were to go buy it new, but the fact that he wants to trade out the deck (which I'm not sure if you can) means that he has to put even more money into it.

He'd be better off looking at the 4500 with a 61" deck under it already.

I know of both of these mowers sitting near me (both on Ebay) and the 4500 is $3,500 less than the 5000.

I also know of one of my used 4000 series mowers with a 27 hp gas / 61" deck that I traded in to my dealer with only 6xx hours, and you can get that for $5,000.

Anyways, like I said, there's no way I'd pay over $9,000 when he can get these deals with mowers that already have the deck under it that he wants.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say its worth around 11,000. Like Rod said, they are a big heavy machine. We have a guy here locally that uses one and he really likes it and it does a nice job cutting. But I don't know if I would run it on 1/2 acre and under lawns, just too big of a machine for that type of use. One thing about the Cat diesels is they will hold their resell value pretty good. But say for around 11,000 you could get a new ztr that would better fit his lawns.
  6. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I run the IS4500 with the cat diesel and like rod said with my 260# lb body, we are over the 2000# mark wich is very heavy. Those actually retail for closer to $15,000, but like a car or anything of that value, you could probably buy it new for about 13. Rod is about right, its worth aobut 11k.

My biggest question is why does he want that big of a machine for 1/2 acres and less properties, WAY OVERKILL. I use mine on mostly 1.5 acres and more, but have been thinking of selling it and getting a little bit of a smaller (lighter) machine so that I could throw it on some small properties if I want to.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Talked with my dealer about it today...he said 10.5 - 11 range. I wasn't too far off I guess.
  8. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys....My friend ended up getting the mower.....He let me use it this last weekend.....Wow...It is a nice mower.....love the smell of diesel exhaust copared to a gasser and the sound is great too!.....seems to have plenty of power (of course it is hard to see how well it cuts because all our grass has all but stopped growing except for some onions or weeds.....It does plow through piles of leaves well tho!)....It does ride alot smoother than my 3000 Extreme.....in the interest of lowering ground contact pressure and maybe increasing traction on my mower I am going to see if the larger tires on the 5000 would fit on my 3000....
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you willing (do you know) to let us know what he paid for it??
  10. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

id like to know where i can get a deal like that, im lookin at either sellin my 48 or keepin it, but im def gonna get a 61" next season, theres a guy selling his is2000 w/ 27hp kohler w/ 820 something hours for 5500, what do you think of that price?