Whats it worth? Portable Garage

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by BSDeality, Nov 28, 2006.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

What do you reckon this Cover-It portable garage is worth? 12x30' round house with heavy duty fabric. 12' tall. It belongs to one of my customers and he is moving and doesn't have the means to relocate it. He previously stored a 22' boat in the winter in it. He paid $1800+shipping about 5 years ago for it.

I have no immediate use for it right now since I don't want to put it up on my property but I know it would be useful to have for a year or two down the road.

Whats it worth??

cover-it 001.jpg

cover-it 002.jpg

cover-it 003.jpg

cover-it 004.jpg
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Something isn't right here...
    That thing there is called an enclosed canopy.

I've been checking into these things for several years now, as a means of outdoor equipment storage...
    They have come down in price some, but not much.
    They usually start around $200 for an open 1-car canopy and they go up from there, but it's not nearly as ridiculous as solid storage sheds.

Now maybe it's the odd size or I haven't looked hard enough, but I can get a 20x30 for around $800 (thou it does say list $1100...)...
    Shipping does add a cool $200 to it, so almost a grand.
    If I had to pay list, $1,300 w/ shipping.
    And that's a 20x30, almost twice the size.
    Oddly enough, 10x30 is the next closest thing to this supposed 12x30.

So 1,800 sounds way high, either:
    He really said or meant 800...
    He paid 1800 to include delivery and installation, paid list, and the price having come down...
    It's very heavy duty canvas (and I mean heavier than the usual because they're all heavy duty).
    12 x 30 really is a very odd size...
    Or some combination of the above.

Then, it's used, so that deflates the price some more.
    If it were me, I wouldn't move it for more than $500 in trade, maybe $600 if I knew right away where to put it / had an instant use for it.
    Because you gotta figure the labor to take it apart, too.
  3. BSDeality

the main thing that jacks the price up is the fact that it has a 12' tall door and 14' overall height.

The ones you have linked are only 6'8" door and 11'6" peak. Also 18 legs versus 8.

Just trying to compare apples to apples.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

its only worth what u r willing to pay for it----if u don't need it then low ball it plus u have to remove it--- tell him you'll remove it for 250 bucks and dispose of it for free.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

ones man trash is another mans treasure. Tell him you will take it down for him and remove it and give him $450. Then he can talk u up to $500 and your still ahead of the game.
  6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to add this into the pot I bought a 10Wx20Lx8H for around $450 delivered to my door last year, but I did buy two at this time, so I might have gotten a better deal.
  7. BSDeality

what kind did you get FTD?
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

No more than $400. Remember these things are suposed to be temp and will start to wear mold and tear in the next 3-4 years. thats all there good for but they are awesome for the price over sheds.
  9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I think $400 is a decent price, maybe $500. I am in the process of ordering a Shelterking, 12x20x8 for $429. The Cover-it covers are usually pretty thin and don't last as long as some of the other manufacturers, so check out the price of a new cover before you commit to this purchase. That sounds like a great size for a lot of storage, as long as it can handle the snow load.

Many of the manufacturers are located right in Connecticut, so your shipping costs would be much less for a new cover or any accessories.

This site looks to be a large Cover-it dealer and you can check out their pricing. http://www.sheltersofnewengland.com/

10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

They are both ShelterKing. They were having a clearence sale, so we bought two. We put one up and have a second one ready to be put up... just need to find something to put in it!:weightlifter: