What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accuratelawn, Apr 29, 2001.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about purchasing a machine to store on site at a large account.
    John Deere 935 60" cut with Yamar deisel engine 2000 hours
    good/fair condition.
    What's it worth?
    Good machine for a 5 acre property?
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

I owned a 935 for 6 years, one of my best friends bought one when I sold mine for JUNK. His is still running. My machine was purchases with 235 hours on it. The motor began losing power at around 2500. I reibuilt the lower end, Got maybe 600 more out of it. The transmission bit the dust around 3000. This machine was great in its day but today belongs to the ZTR's! My buddy has spent hundreds of dollars upgrading the driveline and misc. pittly parts. When it dies, He will get the 72" Exmark Lazer. Both our machines had 72" decks. Honestly, unless you can pick this machine up CHEAP I wouldn't recommend it. Even then, the parts and upkeep may kill your profits. Can't tell you what elst to buy. I'd proably go with a 60" Hydro Walk behind with a sulky or something. Cheap and trustworthy. Sounds like the property you are planning on mowing is really not that big to justify the cost of a bigger machine unless you use the machine on many other properties. Good Luck
  3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

If you are considering buying a machine to use at only ONE 5 acre account, I wish I had your cash flow! How many cuts on this property is it going to take to pay for the machine (not including your labor and expences)?
  4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

It's not that my cash flow is that great, its that if the deal works out it will be for 3 years. The guy has a building to store it in for free. Its out of the way, but would be worth the time. My Dad lives a minute away and I might talk him into mowing it most of the time.
    Dealer wants $3500 for the mower.
    Thanks for your thoughts