Whats it worth?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Oct 14, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I am in need of someone handling my paper work.

Here is what I do normally.....I say normally because I am young in the business and still organizing myself because its no longer here's the plan, go do it.

So, I keep everything together for each job.....contract, copy's of the checks and all receipts. I then collect other receipts and organize them, fuel depending on the vehicle, repairs, tools, equip, misc etc.

I have spent about $420 on the king of all kings version of Quickbooks and bought a laptop for it to be on that also has an external hard drive to back it up.

I hate Quickbook second to terrorists. Perhaps just the version I have but it drives me insane and I do not have the time or the patience to learn it and organize the program to optimize its ability. I am also in need of someone to keep up with all the filing of taxes, reports and other BS that goes along with being in business.

The person I plan to use is my brother. He is MUCH more organized than me and would be great to use his talent. My problem, I have not a clue what some of you are paying to whoever such a person may be to you to do these things. Its not a full time job and he is not in need of a job. I would just be paying him to handle the paper work for me.

2. Nicdv1

Nicdv1 LawnSite Member

my accountant charges me $50 a month to put all my expenses on quickbooks,takes him about 1 hour.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

1hr! I guess once you're setup and running. Is that all he handles though? No filing quarterly reports, taxes and other paper work?

If this works out my brother would be overseeing the finances of the company. Working the money, organizing cash flow etc.

Before anyone flames, there is absolutely NO issue with him handling this. One of the few very strong, close, families in this country......a dying thing unfortunitely. I don't want to hear stories of this and that......they do not apply.

I haven't even run it by him but I know he'd be up for it.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

30 a hour. Once it is set up, it should only take him a few hours a week i'd imaging.

5. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

When we first set up on the computer, it took me some long hours to learn the program and feed the info.

Now, I'd say I spend 30 min to 1 hour a day on paperwork every morning. That includes mail, email, and really anything buisness related. I answer a few calls everyday, that are not David, and only spend large chunks of time on special projects.

So, 6 hours a week, plus maybe an hour per week for special projects....I get about $125 an hour! payup

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I think he talking more of an office manager......

Good luck

7. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I know :). I don't get paid at all.

Seriously, the office manager that David hired briefly charged $15 an hour.

8. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Why not just talk to your brother and see what's fair to both of you? I won't hire family or friends. My office manager works 30-40 hrs a week and I pay her $14.50/hr. She takes all calls, does all paperwork, billing, etc, and is well worth what I pay her. The sad part is she probably knows more about my business than I do.

9. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

I would sit down and write down all of teh items you wish to have the person handle for you. Depending on your $$ volume, number of employees, etc. it could take from a couple of hours a week to several hours per week.

If you have employees, purchase the quikbooks payroll feature and your tax forms will only take 15 to 30 miutes to generate, sign, and file.

PM me and I can share some more info. I recently sold a large landscape business up north to move to Virginia. Changing careers, but I would be interested in chatting with you anyway.