What's It Worth?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TNLC owners, Nov 2, 2007.

1. TNLC owners

TNLC owners LawnSite Member

I am planning on attending an auction this weekend and might purchase a couple of items to use in my business. However, I would like to get some opinons on the value of these items before I go.

1) 1989 Chevy 3500 w/meyer snow plow and dump bed. This really ins't a dump truck, it's more of a flat bed which dumps. The truck has 118K on it and looks to be in very good shape from the pictures I have saw. It doesn't look like it has been used commercially before. This truck is a 4X4 and has the 454 V8 in it. According to Kelly Blue Book, the truck is worth anywhere from $3,400 to $3,800. I thought this figure is a little high considering the truck is nearly 20 years old. However, I'm sure the plow and dump bed affect the value somehat. In addition, what should I look for to make sure the plow and bed are in decent shape? I'm not very familiar with either feature and don't want to buy a lot of problems.

2) Troy-Bilt tiller with a Kohler Magnum engine. It looks like this is an electric start model that has hardly ever been used.

Thanks for your help. By the way, this looks to be an estate auction and not an equipment consignment auction, so I think both items are in good condition and have not been abused from what I have saw.

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy truck look for rust! Especially if it has a plow attached. I personally would not go more than about 1500-2000 range on the truck and plow. With a 454 its going to be a gas hog. Troy built would bring about 350-500 if it's in good shape. and starts right up. Never go to an Auction with a buyer's fee- a man can't serve 2 masters!:nono:

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Estate auctions are better than consignments, slightly less chance the owner will be there to inflate the price through competetive bidding. Used vehicle prices are soft right now. No real advice to give here, auctions are always a learning experience. If the bidding goes too high, don' buy. There's always another auction. When bidding, keep in mind any buyers premium and/or sales tax.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I like to see what things are bringing on ebay.