What's MAgnum about the Magnum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Mar 30, 2003.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Went to my dealer the other day to buy another trimmer. I've been a little disgusted with the Stihls so I thought I would try a SR260 Echo. I thought $299.00 was a good price too. Other than trying to get used to the new head vs. the Stihl.........I love it! Plenty of power, no bogging, cranks in 2-3 pulls vs 10-15........very happy. I wonder if you can put a Stihl head on an Echo trimmer? If you can and have done it let me know. Then I would have the ultimate trimmer.

Now......the rest of the story.

While I was there we decided it was also time to get another blower......the BR 400 probably won't make it through another season without going down for repairs.........she's been a good one. My choice was to get the Echo or new Magnum BR420. I thought to myself and said "self, the old BR400 has been a good one, surely the 420 will blow the 400 away.........let's get the new Stihl".

Self agreed whole heartedly.

Let me say that self and I have done battle over this one. My BR400 has more guts than this new one does and I'm bout tempted to take it back and trade it for the Echo. I got it for $399.00 and have used it for maybe 1 hr..............long enough to know that the MAGNUM ain't got no guts..........it's just purty cause it's new! I was really hoping to step up a little in power but instead have fallen back. I guess after using the Shindiawa EB630 last year (borrowed while mine was in shop) nothing else is going to compare.

Would I be making a mistake to go to the Echo PB650, is it any stronger than the BR420?

Self screwed me on this one:angry:

Echo might be all I put on my trailer before long.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Why don't you get an EB630? I still have a BR400 and ever since getting the pair of Shindaiwas, it never get's used.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Main reason is the 2 dealers that are close enough to deal with don't carry them......if they did I would have definately bought one.

4. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

What about a redmax 7001.

5. MY PUPPY

MY PUPPY LawnSite Member
    from mass.

I just bought echo pb-750 works great !

6. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

My BR 400's are great but I've heard stihl's new stuff is near the bottom of the list. Can't wait for my stihl eguipment to fry so I can go back to echo or maybe try shindaiwa. They're hard to start, run lean and every one of the on-off switches is broke. Even on the pole saw I hardly use.

7. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

That Echo PB 650 is a work horse. Wet leaves packed down on a yard blow like dry grass with it, but it is a gas hog. Mine has about 10 hours on it and has started surging and just found out in the book it needs 89 or higher octane fuel.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I tried the new Stihl 4 mix, which is a 4 cycle engine with valves and everything but it runs on your regular 2 cycle mixture so it's not an oddball on the trailer and also you can run it upside down if you want unlike other 4 cycle trimmers out there. It was quieter than a 2 cycle by far, runs 40 minutes longer on one tank of fuel, is only 3 oz heavier than a FS85 and has more torque. at full throttle, 9600 RPM it sounded like my FS80 at half throttle. I liked that machine. They said they will be coming up with a blower using this new 4 mix engine as well!!!! Too bad I got a new FS80 last year because otherwise I'd be looking hard at the 4 mix but now I won't need one for years and years! Anyway ask your Stihl dealer when they might come out with a 4 mix blower. He may not know anything about it but he should know about the 4 mix trimmer.

9. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

I have a eb630 & i love it. I read a article the other day about the EPA, and how they were going after the emissions on power equipment. There goes the power.:angry: :blob2:

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Homer wrote:

My BR400 has more guts than this new one does and I'm bout tempted to take it back and trade it for the Echo. I got it for $399.00 and have used it for maybe 1 hr..............long enough to know that the MAGNUM ain't got no guts

Is your new Stihl a "C" model? Is so then swap the muffler from your old blower to the new one. The C stands for catalitic as in catalitic convertor. I swapped the muffler on mine and my new Stihl picked up a bunch of power.