What's making these holes (pt 2)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve1, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, after a fight with my digital camera and software, hopefully THIS time I can attach a pic.

These holes appeared in my yard a few weeks ago but there were only a few of them. Now, there is a LOT more and I'm not sure if it's from something trying to dig something up OR if it's from some huge bug digging up from beneath. The grass that is disturbed is almost swirled. Very bizarre looking.

I thought at first it might be cicadas since I live in northwest Ohio and they are pretty bad this year. But the holes are not near a tree - actually, they are out in open yard. The holes are pretty much within an area about 15' x 20', in a lower section of the yard. The area does not stay wet or anything like that and actually, it's one of the better areas of grass.

Any idea? If it's a bug of sorts, how should I treat it? It almost looks more like something has been digging but the holes are so symetrical it's hard to believe that is the case.

holes 3 rz.jpg

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My vote goes for the all time favorite Japanese Beetle.
    The females,at this time of year,burrow into the soil and lay their eggs.
    Only thing you can do,really,is prepare for next year.Spray your lawn with diazinone now and spray your shrubs with acephate.In the fall,spray again and again next spring.
    .............and pray that your neighbors will do the same.
    If all else fails,get some beetle traps.When it gets dark,go and install them in your neighbors trees :D

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe birds going after grubs just before they hatch. Also, if the lawn is damaged, it could be skunks digging for grubs.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going with Rtom on this one.The turf looks pulled back, like a foraging skunk or opossum.Treat with Merit, and eliminate the food source for those varmints!

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if they live up your way, But those holes look exactly like the kind left by an Armadillo foraging for Bugs, or another type of critter lookin for food like Rtom mentioned... Get rid of their food and they go away....

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i would have to say an animal.... of sometype

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Steve,
    Are you seeing any adult beetles on your plants?Also,the holes will be only about 2-3 inches deep if it's Japanese beetles.

8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly what it is, animals digging for grubs and other insects. A bag of GrubEx will take care of that.

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Merit works too slowly to take care of the immediate problem.

10. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't noticed any Japanese beetles around here yet so I'm not sure it's them. It really does look like it's being dug from above the surface.

The other odd thing is that I haven't seen the tell-tale sign of severe grub infestation, such as dead sod, etc.

I'll try and get another photo here to see if it helps.

Thanks for all the input so far.

holes 1rz.jpg