Whats more profitable irrigation or weed control?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kswiney, Jan 31, 2014.

?

whats more profitable irrigation or weed control?

1. Weed control/pre-emergents

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Irrigation/Sprinklers new construction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Irrigation/Sprinklers repair

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Your Choice of add on.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kswiney

kswiney LawnSite Member

We are currently looking at taking the next step in the direction of add on business. I was wondering what is more profitable irrigation or weed control. We want to add both services soon however as you all know time is limited. At a glance it appears both are similar in terms of startup costs. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. Chamber143

Chamber143 LawnSite Member

I personally hate irrigation. There is some good money in it, but in our area with the economy the way it is they don't sell well. But people looking for weed control and fertilization are everywhere.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In Texas irrigation repair rules. In our city all big properties will have to be inspected for water loss. Third party will do the inspection.

4. kswiney

kswiney LawnSite Member

Thank you both for your replies. It is a bit easier to get a license for weed control as well. Chamber can you recommend spray equipment. Also Ed do you have to have a license for irrigation repair?

5. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

weed control, customer doesn't know you're spraying water

6. One Cut Away

One Cut Away LawnSite Member

LOL That's funny!

In Florida with all the heat, hands down for us it's irrigation repairs. Control the water and you control the job. Most of the time anyway. And with turf spraying - we have the heat to contend with as well. Some tech decides to put down some Image in 90 degree heat - and uh oh.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

In FL you have to consider the cost and effort in attaining those licenses or in my case what percentage and volume I can get with referrals and subs.
    Posted via Mobile Device