What's Next?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ho5tile, Jun 2, 2006.

1. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

So this is the deal. I have a blower, trimmer, mower and trailer. I hold down a 50+ hour per week "regular job". I'm thinking of trying a few residents to help with the bills. The mower was bought to use at my home its a new 61" scag ztr. I've already got a pay as you go next door lawn. But I dont realy want to take on anything else untill you folks fill me in on what else I need, like insurance, license, etc. I'm in north-east Ga. I'm not sure of laws and stuff. Can you folks help?

2. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

You will need to get liability insurance, not sure about licensing in your area. Mind if I ask what kind of trimmer and blower? Commercial or Residential? Size Trailer and what will you be pulling it with? Also how much you wanna put into it?

3. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

My blower is a BG85 D stihl, Trimmer is a FS110 stihl, Chain saw is a 268xp husvarna. The blower is the only thing that is "home owner" grade (couldnt get a back-pack because of the wife). The trailer is single axle wood floor with ramps, 12 x 7. It will be pulled with a ford ranger pick up or a ford excursion. where do I start looking for insurance? And what do I ask for? I dont want to start another "full time" business here just want to clear around $150 a week or so. I dont mind spending a little more to get it as long as I dont have to go in debt to get insured or any thing.

4. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Just figured out the signature thing so here goes.
    I should also mention that I am no where near any subdivisions of any size my operation will be out in the sticks, 100% rural.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you are already working 50+ hours a week there is no way you can run a legit business with all the overhead and still make it profitable. There is not enough time. You will end up working 20+ more hours to to cover expenses and not really make any money, Just my feeling

6. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Thanks PMlawn thats what I need Is your guys input. But I'm still curious what will it cost me for proper insurance. I would hate to think what it would cost me to replace a bay window after I found little jonny's baseball with my mower.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My policy is just under $900. for the year, I have heard anywhere from 800 - 1200 as the starting point and goes up with your insurability. Using you truck for business will increase that policy also. Call your town about license.
    The problem is there are some "Fixed" costs that do not change no matter how muck you work. Doing 40 hours of work may have a 50% overhead but doing 20 hours will bring that cost up to 75%.
    So to make $150 a week, lets say you get $40 per hour / 75% is really $10 to you and $30 to the business. After taxes you net $7.50 an hour 150 / 7.50 = the 20 hours, Plus the office time and the maintenance time, --- Take away the hours driving to your real job and what time do you have left. Still want to do it. But wait--- You have a business to support----All winter long, with no income.
    Now think about rain-- Break downs- You get sick or hurt.

The next post here will be about this working at $60. per hour, That may be true but as a part timer it is harder to bring up the rates-- get close routes that work to help that. And you already stated that you will have to drive a lot.-- Lots to think about

8. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

One word here, OUCH!! Good info though thanks. The insurance cost is a big factor the machine costs are less than the pro's way of figuring them because thats already part of my home buget. I used to replace about every three to four years but thats before I bought a $12,000 mower. sure dont want to wear that out withought making enough for a new one!

9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see why you cant pick up a couple hundred dollars a week cutting and not have any insurrance. If your not a real company...Don't be so anal and go make some cash. Happens everyday all over the world. Almost all my friends who are window cleaners go out every 2nd weekend making money on the side.

10. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Yes, I realy want to go get my share and I dont mind working for it. But It scares me to death to think that some one in a million dollar home could take what little I have because of a screw up on my behalf or thiers (doesent realy matter who screwed up as long as they can get a better lawer). The hours, equipment, work doesent realy matter from my piont of veiw, But the liability now thats diferent.