1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ya know when you think about it there is much that can be done to redesign a snowplow. Auto makers redesign cars and make vast changes every so often, but what can be done in the snowplow market? I mean think about it, the streight blade is almost unchanged, the v-plow has be developed. What else can they do?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I think much has been done, just "deemed" not popular, or unproductive. I just did a search last night at the US Patent & Trademark office. There is over 800 snow plow designs patented. That's A LOT. Some of them are really funny designs too. Like a V plow you drag behind the truck on the end of a chain. There's another one that hooks onto a car bumper. There's one with a hydraulically controlled edge, that you can move the end of the blade only, to stop leaving a windrow, when passing a driveway opening. Recently there have been quite a few pull plows (rear mount) patented too.

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

All the snowplow designs are facinating, aren't they?

I've personally designed or improve 6 or 8 things about snowplow or snowplowing.

I frankly think we're just on the brink of a whole host of new designs.

As Chuck mentioned, the key is having a design that is EFFECTIVE, one that will save (large amounts of) time when plowing without adding complicated gizmos that the average plower can't handle.
  4. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Chuck -

What web site did you find all that on? That sounds like some cool stuff!
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Snow Pro, you trying to be a Senior Member after tonight??? ;) You sure are busy posting this evening.

You need to work on your website, because it doesn't exist.
    Need help building it?

I found the patent search site a long time ago, and have had it on my links page for years now. You can look up patents on anything. It's a site where you can search the US Patent & Trademark Office online.

You can actually buy a copy of any patent, for research purposes of course.

Careful, it could be even more addictive than this forum is!!

6. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Chuck -

Thanx for the info. I'll go there some other time...but not tonite. It's going on midnight here in the midwest. Not that that stopped me Wednesday night. I worked until 7:30, came home and stayed on this web site for 6 hours. Woke up Thursday A.M. with a stye. Don't know if there's any relation.

Not going to make Senior tonite. Just got promoted from Junior earlier this evening. Not even sure what the threshholds are, but I'm having fun!

By the way, how do these guys get the icons to appear in the middle of their texts?
  7. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Chuck -

Thanks for your help offering to build the web site. I'm got some pages written, just need to find a good host. I respect your opinion, since you obviously have a lot of experience at this. I'd like to get it up and running within the next week or so. We'll talk.
  8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have always thought why has someone not made a straight blade that worked better for backdraging? I know Snow-way has down pressure, some say it works, others say not that well.

I look at a plow and think if it just dug in while backing. A added cutting edge with a slight curve added to the BACK of the blade. If a guy could come up with something that even just pinned on and off of a regular blade for just this use for say a few hundred dollars and it worked, he would make a small fortune from those that would not have to buy a new setup just to get one.
  9. snow

snow Guest

I've seen what you're talking about on a website. I don't remember the address, but i know it was an edge that went on back of the plow.

10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody else seen such a edge?