What's on your Christmas list?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Stuttering Stan, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Something about fusion rotted my socks off; never made sense except jazz guys trying to make the big bucks in the rock arena.What I like is this: crank it up!

youtube.com/watch?v=7czlanjaObs

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It was specifically the Allmans I was thinking about when it occurred to me that RTF was doing the rock anthem thing better. No comparison on drums and keyboards and bass, for pure drive and virtuosity. I forget whether or not this was Al Di Meola's first live gig with the band.

Thing is, even if the best jazz players could destroy the rock universe in a battle of the bands, it would be something like a false victory, because jazz players clearly have a different muse than rockers, and they have other, better, things to do.

I still think Right Off has the toughest opening I can recall at the moment, even beyond I Can See For Miles. Just how that guitar was tuned, I can't figure out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  3. Mike Leary

Southern Rock: Double drummers, Hammond B-3 organ, killer guitar players; hard to not get moving with that stuff. Out west, only the Greatfull Dead could get you off your butt like the Allmans could. Great to hear Butch Trucks' son playing so much (and yet unique) like his dad, who was a Allman band member. That guitar solo on my post, is prolly one of the few that's brought tears to my old eyes.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  4. Wet_Boots

Yeah, Trucks the Younger is a good musician. I first heard him on Prairie Home Companion.

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Derek Trucks was born June 8, 1979, in Jacksonville, Florida.

His uncle, Butch, is a founding member of The Allman Brothers Band and according to Trucks, the name of Eric Clapton's (and Duane Allman's) band; Derek and the Dominos had "something to do with the name".

Before his 13th birthday Trucks had jammed with Buddy Guy and gone on tour with The Allman Brothers Band.

I

6. Mike Leary

Thanks for the correction, you can sure hear the Allman influence!

7. Wet_Boots

speaking of which....

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice find!

About 1:35 into into it you can see a signature on that Gibson SG guitar, but I couldn't make it out...

9. Mike Leary

Good golly. the kid looks to be twelve years old and stands up, without posture, and knocks a solo out of the field! :clapping:

10. Wet_Boots

Jazz guys playing rock was/is almost as bad as rock guys trying to play jazz. Witness Keith Emerson with Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo a la Turk.