1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's on your feet?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by vipermanz, Mar 28, 2005.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Workshoes that is.. I have a pair of leather steel toe boots but i noticed the other day that they were heavy and actually slowing me down. I went shopping around for something lighter and ended up at sears, i narrowed it down to the 2 lightest i could find, Caterpillar and Timberland Pro. I went ahead and got the timberland but it made me wonder if anyone else had that problem. I knew i wanted lighter but i didn't want to sacrifice ankle protection either. this is what i got,http://www.timberland.com/product/i...&cp=1762199.1780841.1780822&parentPage=family what do you have?
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I use terra wildsiders for the spring/fall/winter and dakota saftey shoes for the summer. My feet we cooking me alive in the summers in the leather boots but the dakotas are WCB/CSA approved as well and with breathable material and less than half the weight it makes a big difference in the hot summer months.
  3. breck75

breck75 LawnSite Member

I have found the most comfortable boot is a Wolverine Durashock. The only problem is that they are not steel toes. I don't know if you can get them with steel toes or not. When I was an Iron Worker I would were my boots everywhere. I actually think they are as comfortable as tennis shoes. Breck :waving:
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear the Timberland Pros also and I really like them. Well worth the money.
  5. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I also like the Wolverine Durashock, i dont like steel toe to heavy to walk in all day.
  6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I know I probably shouldn't, but I wear a pair of Nike running shoes. Very lightweight and comfortable. Some guys say they wear steel toed shoes to protect their feet from an accident with mower blades. I don't think there is a steel toed shoe on the market that could protect your foot from a blade moving at 18,500 RPMs.
  7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Redwing boots. No steel toe, but waterproof. I was standing in 3" of water last week for 15 minutes and my feet stayed dry.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same. I also beleive if your feet are under a ztr that you are supposed to be riding, you have bigger problems.
  9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear magnum hi tech they are very light weight
  10. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I wear a boot made by "Vasque" with Gore-tex waterproofing. They are very waterproof but don't breath at all and sometimes your feet get wet anyway from sweat. I also get a heat rash on my ankles sometimes in very hot weather from them, so I just wear tennis shoes in the real hot weather.

Joel B.