1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats required to CDL over 26,000lbs?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Figuring that even my dually f350 and 14k dump trailer are able to pass the cdl mark of 26k fully loaded etc, what is needed in NJ?

I know there is a test you can take and i can apply for a CDL license designation to be able to tow heavier trailers... is there anything else?

My highest capacity trailers are 12 and 14k limits, the trucks "vin tags" show 11,400 and 13,500 for the two F350s.

Im looking at a gooseneck, and was set on just a 14k to keep it simple. But im going to look at one with still two axles but their 10k axles and the trailer has a gvw of 25,900, figuring Kaufman says 20k on tires, 5,900 max on gooseneck of truck. I know even fully loaded this thing would be fine on the dually f350 with 4.30 gears, but id need a CDL. Id be around 35,000 if it was really fully loaded for the truck and trailer.

I'd rarely ever have that much weight on it unless im picking up pallets of sod, salt, landscape block, heavy trees etc.

Anyone else get a CDL just to run around with a trailer that is too heavy to stay under the limit?

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

it does not matter how much weight you haul it goes by how much the truck is rated to haul by the mfg. if you have an F350 with a GVWR of 13,500 and pull a trailer with a GVWR of 14,000 that is a total of 27,500. you would need a class"A" CDL.
    Class"A" any combo of vehicles with a GVWR of 26000 or more with a trailer over 10K
    Class"B" single vehicle with a GVWR of 26000 or more trailer under 10K
    Class"C" under 26000 hauling hazmat or or more than 16 people
  3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

4. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

In New York we no longer have a "C" class which is a commercial driver anymore. I believe that was early 2000 when they changed that. You are no able to drive up to a 26,000k rig or combo before needing anything. Now something else to consider, check your local laws but I am pretty sure anyone who has gotten their license after 2005? not too sure of the year must have a med card while driving a commercially registered vehicle.
  5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

you can be overweight in your vehicles and it will push you into CDL class.. my guys were running a 450 and a landscape trailer one time, they pulled out the portable scales we were like 500 pounds over CDl they would not let the truck move unto someone with a class a drove it away or they towed it...
  6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'm pretty sure they go by combined gvwr. I don't think they give a crap what the truck could or could not tow (truck/trailer wise) It also doesnt give you your tow rating on the door like the gvwr gets shown. Yes, if you have a 5k load in the back of your 2500 pickup you'll be overweight, but not if you have an empty pickup thats within its own gvwr and a trailer thats properly weighted in its gvwr. I can have nothing in my pickup and be under the 9200 gvwr, and have 14k in my dump trailer (granted my gvwr is 14k on the dump) and be perfectly fine. One thing in NJ is that on the registration for commercial trailers you don't have a gvwr on the registration, so that goes out the window. I have never seen the scales used on truck/trailers but rather only on those commercial cargo trucks with gvwr stated on the door.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the time the DOT will go by your licenced gvw.
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

on your registrations right?

My "red" 06 f350 was 19k... thats to handle the weight capacity of any trailers i pull though, thats what i was told back when i got that truck at least...

Now i see tons of F350s, all 10k, 11k, 12k etc, and f550s that are 17.5 or 19.5k ratings at 14k, 15k, 18k lol. I mean they get filled with NO trailer and theyll be over right?

my dump trailer says "zero" weight since its supposed to be taken from the truck, how does that figure in then? If my 06 red f350 is 11,400 in the door, and zero for the trailer with a registered weight of 19k?

This is going to really suck with the new f350 then if the 13.5k plus 14k is over the 26k mark loaded, since i'd have to be the one driving it 100% of the darn time and have to go with our mulching/maintenance crew the whole spring season :(

The idea was so i wouldnt be so overloaded with the single rear wheel f350 and now a little more truck capacity just because of a larger rear axle and im over :/
  9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

simple answer....

go to the DMV and take your written CLASS A test, you don't need to worry about the airbrake test, doubles, etc...just class A

schedule your road test...pass...and no worries

no offense to you NY guys...but don't listen to them...NJ is a lot like PA for drivers licenses...from experiences and word of mouth NY has some very strange rules and laws regarding a CDL, so what they say might not be the case in NJ...however once you get a CDL it is recognized in ALL states...along with it comes more responsibility but thats another thread

EDIT: to clear up some misconceptions on this thread...coming from someone who has actually read the book from cover to cover...the CDL requirement is required for all combinations greater then 26,000lbs and if trailer GVW is over 10,000lbs...

so an f250 pulling a 12K trailer does need a CDL even though it might be under 26,000 combo
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Then in that case everyone should be driving with a cdl. I looked at the manual before and said if the truck is over a certain gvwr

Class A: License is necessary for the operation of tractor trailers or any truck or trailer with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. The Class A license also allows the motorist to operate all vehicles in the class B, C and D categories, provided the motorist has qualified for all the proper extra endorsements.

So, my 9,200 gvwr (2500) truck and 14k trailer does not require a cdl.