Whats so great about a hydro???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nik_Danger, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Nik_Danger

Nik_Danger LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new wb mower for mostly residential use...maybe some larger commercial accounts but not many. EVERYONE here uses toro gear drive or scag gear drive...maybe once in a blue moon you see a exmark gear drive. The only hydros here are the z's. On a walkbehind besides reverse what makes the hydro option worth the extra green? Would all of you say that it is REALLY worth the extra or is it a luxury? Thanks for the input and I know this thread is probably worn thin.

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to use a hydro for about two weeks and then make your decision. Anyone that can afford a hydro and doesn't have one is :dizzy: . Carpal tunnel syndrome alone is enough reason not to use a belt driven machine.

3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

No slipping belts when wet, alot easier to turn, no shifting to change speed, I'm sure there are plenty of other pros to a hydro. I have had both and would never use a belt drive again.

4. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

You being in Dallas, it may well be a luxury. You're probably mowing pretty flat ground. Hydros are nice, but if you don't need it, don't buy one. However, if you ever use one for a day, you'll be hooked.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the scag belt drive....no need for homeowner to have hydro. The hydro only helps save a little time on tight small lawns. We have two small belt driven Scag units, they should last you a lifetime.

6. Nik_Danger

Nik_Danger LawnSite Member

sorry for the confusion. I have mostly residential accounts. I use the mower commercially, but not on large commercial accounts...like churches, right of ways,...I do commercial residential mowing. So if it makes a difference in tight spaces then I might want to try one. Another thing, when you go to a dealer around here it seems that they only stock gear drive wb's. I call and ask about them and they say special order only. How could I manipulate things so I get a chance to demo rather than buying something that I have no feel for?

7. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

I used a belt drive for the last 3 years and loved it. I used my first hydro last week and the ease of turning and lack of fatigue is amazing compared to the belt driven. Also the turning in tight areas make it so easy without tearing the turf like the belt drive would. All in all if you can afford the hydro I would highly recommend it over the bely drive you wont be sorry.

8. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I have been using a belt drive for the second season and really wish I had a hydro unit. I've never used one, but would image it would be so much easier to turn around on a dime and damage the turf less often. Being able to back up without having to pull the machine would be nice, too. Less fatigue, especially on the hands and back. Although the extra cost of the hydro units aren't worth it for me, it would still be nice to have one : ).

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Two weeks Henry? You're being way too kind. Try like 10 minutes with lots of obstacles in a tight area.

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly what I was thinking!!

If your dealer will not get one for you to demo, you could go over to the Exmark page and ask them if they could arrange something for you. Wouldn't hurt to try.

If you ever get to use one and you can afford the extra money for it, you will buy it. If the funds are not available right now, you will get one as soon as you can!