What's so great about diesel pick-ups?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by procut, Nov 23, 2010.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I missing something here. I get so sick of everyone acting like I'm some kind of dumb@ss for not buying diesel trucks. I realize they have more power, but what are you going to pull with a pick-up truck that is so heavy you couldn't do it with a gas v8?

As far as the mileage thing goes, I think a lot of those claims are overrated. If you can get someone to be honest, from what I can tell the diesel trucks are only getting a few mpg better than a gas v8. Plus, diesel fuel is always significantly more than gasoline. When I priced out a new truck a while back the diesel was a $7200 option! $7200 buys a lot of gas.

Also, it seems like diesels are a maintenance nightmare and are more trouble prone, especially the older ones. ie. injectors.

As far as I'm concerned diesel pick-up trucks are pointless, and guys just buy them for macho thing most the time. So, diesel freaks, convince me other wise - why should I buy one? "Because they sound cool" is not an acceptable answer.

2. you would not understand, "Its a Diesel thing".

3. procut

Gaaahhhhrrr, this is all anyone will tell me. Try again, this isn't an acceptable answer either. If some one could give me some real reasons I might be a little more receptive.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I'll show you a few things where diesel is nice to have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my personal pick up(6.0 Vortec) With that load I get around 7 or less mpg. And its nothing impressive on the interstate. Its easier just to stay in the right lane instead of beating up my truck, running 3grand and sucking twice as much gas.. It'll do it, but its not easy on my wallet..

[​IMG]

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Diesel engines last longer, pull harder and are easy to maintain. But they are not cost effective if you dont need to haul heavy trailers. If i were pulling 20' plus enclosed trailers full of equipment everyday i would be pulling with a diesel. But if your pulling 12' trailers around its pointless. I run gas. I dont want to plug my truck in in the winter, smell the fumes or hear the noise. Thats just me.

6. procut

Sounds you and I are about on the same page on this.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like diesel trucks, and I would prefer to drive one, BUT the extra cost just does not pencil out for my needs. I do agree that many diesel truck users have them just because they like them, not that they really need one. I have a gas pickup, and it was fully $10,000 cheaper than a comparable diesel model at the time I bought it. Yes, the diesel gets better mileage and will pull heavier loads, but my gas truck is more than adequate for my needs, and the numbers would never work in the diesel's favor with the amount of miles that I drive. Also, with the recent emission requirements for diesels, it is becoming more common to illegally modify and delete emission equipment on these trucks in order to make them reliable and economical.

So, I would say that a diesel truck only makes sense if you either:

Tow in excess of 10,000 pounds on a regular basis and/or drive more than 20,000 miles a year, OR

If you are a boy-racer ****** who wants to pretend that your pickup is actually a real truck.

8. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

Before 2007 when all the Big 3 had to start putting all the emissions BS on the trucks diesel trucks got a lot better fuel mileage, were more reliable and lasted to 300,000 miles or more if they were properly maintained. Now almost all diesel trucks suck on fuel compared to what it used to be. They break down more and are overall less reliable. If I were to buy a brand new truck it would be a gas truck. If I bought a used truck 2007 or older probably a diesel.

9. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

I used to think along the same lines as you until I got a diesel truck. I tow 10,000-12,000 lbs every day of the week and while a gasser will do it, a diesel does it without groaning. In fact it loves having a load behind it. Now if you are only pulling around a mower or two than a gasser is fine, but for serious towing there is no choice but diesel. Plus....Have you ever heard a 6.0 powerstroke turbo whistle at 20+ P.S.I. ?

10. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I think that sumed it up prefect, one more thing to add is if anything breaks on a diesel you better have deep pockets even if you fix it yourself, don't ask how I found this out. I have 2 diesels and 1 gas truck and my next truck will be another gas truck, all the emissions killed diesel engines.