what's that brown spot?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by shm, Jun 27, 2005.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

I've been re-seeding into this lawn 3 out of the 4 years I've lived here...mostly shady mixes i.e rebel Jr. or scotts shady basically-Kent Blu/ fescue and rye mixes...anyway, I haven't been able to get rid of the "old" grass in this area...(the grass that was here before I moved in)...this grass is the last to green up in the spring and always turns brown around now thru july's hot weather...I've tried watering it daily but it doesn't seem to help.....Any idea what grass type this is and what I should do to get rid of the brown? This area also practically turns white during the winter...but only in spots. I'll attach some pics. Thanks in advance. :)

shm

brown lawn 001.jpg

brown lawn 002.jpg

brown lawn 003.jpg

brown lawn 004.jpg

brown lawn 005.jpg

2. shm

shm LawnSite Member

some more pics of the brown spots

brown lawn 006.jpg

brown lawn 007.jpg

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like fungus.....

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

pic 2 looks like a thatch buildup there, it almost also looks like nitrogen burn to me

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Could be brown patch or another fungus.

6. shm

shm LawnSite Member

if it is brown patch...what should I do? if it is a fungus....what should I do?

I don't think it's a Nitro burn...the area does get a lot of sun but I haven't over fertilized the area.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Contact a Lesco or some other supplier in your area. They can get you the right chemical to spray on it if needed. I believe Endorse can be used on cool season grasses. That is what we use on Zoysia lawns right now.

8. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

if it is a fungus, like brown patch. use compass. its a fungicide. mix according to the label and apply every 14 days. brown patch usually starts on the outer edges of the grass blade. take a close look at it and see if you can see it. also you will need to dethatch the lawn. lots of fungus' generate alot of thatch. this will also help.

9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

by the way dont water in the evening hours of the day. this creates a happy hour for fungus. the best time to water is 6am to 10am. this gives the lawn time to dry out before night fall when it is favorable for fungus growth. it also lets the h20 go deeper into the soil scince the evaporation rate isnt as high in the am.

10. shm

shm LawnSite Member

thanks for the suggestions.....I am also starting to see a lot of mushrooms in other areas of the lawn...is any of this related?...and what should I put down to get rid of the "schrooms"?

I have alot of clover as well.....suggestions?