1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What's that "bump"?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MATTHEW, Aug 10, 2001.

1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Wondered if anyone has experienced this. When slowing down to a stop, I feel a little "bump" under the truck. Like maybe the tranny or the drive shaft area. Or maybe the u-joint? It is not happening on every stop, but it is happening. It happens just after I have come to a full stop-within 1-2 seconds. Just had the tranny flushed and refilled,also.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If it has an automatic transmission,the bump is it downshifting into 1 st,as you get under 10 mph usually.GM's tranny goes to first,so its ready to accelerate strong if the need arises.That is my biggest gripe with Dodge,and Ford auto's,they stay in 2nd until you fully stop,so a rolling stop or plowing,you hit the throttle,and it bogs,then kicks down,then after all that it starts to accelerate.Gm's are in first,and quickly accelerate when you hit it.If you notice Ford's and Dodge's dont clunk as much as GM's,but they dont respond as quick either.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

With my Dodge, its the fuel in the tank sloshing back and forth, esp when between 3/4 and full.

4. MATTHEW

from NE OHIO

Well, my tank was full, so it wasn't that. The other idea sounds better,however, it is sometimes happening even as late as 2 seconds later! Sometimes it is very faint and sometimes it is a bit louder.

5. thelawnguy

Drive another 100 miles and see if the thump is still there. Ill put $$$ on the gas in the tank sloshing diagnosis.

6. MATTHEW

from NE OHIO

THELAWN GUY, I'll e-mail you my P.O. box so you can send the check. How much was that,anyway?

7. thelawnguy

So, wise-guy, tell us what the diagnosis was will you? :rolleyes:

8. MATTHEW

from NE OHIO

I can't. It is not the fuel,and the tranny shop says there is no problem.What is left? I have found the answer to a lot of tricky questions on posts. This one has not really been addressed.
    Your idea was definitely a possibility and one I had not thought of, it just isn't the one.

9. thelawnguy

Check that the spare tire is secure, and there is nothing rolling around the cab, bed, under the hood, etc. You would be surprised what can come loose.

10. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Just got my 2000 C-2500 from the shop today for the same problem, clunk when you take your foot off the brake after stopping, then clunk again as soon as you hit the gas. Dealer technician said, "Oh yeah, I definitly feel that, we'll check it out." Well an hour later the service writer says, "It's normal." I still think it's either the anti-locks or the u-joint, but they are the "experts."