1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the advantage of trimming without a guard???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Jun 9, 2002.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I see some LCO's using no guards on their trimmers. Why???
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Give a try......you will answer your own question! The first thing I do when I buy a new trimmer before I even put gas in it is rmove the sheild. Always wear those saftey glassed though! When I trim I like a good 10 inches of strong on each side....this makes for faster trimming and better visibility. Also much easier to edge with long string and without anything blocking your veiw of what your doing!
  3. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

How does the string get trimmed down with the guard off? Wont the string be uneven then?

4. KenH

from CT

That was my main question...
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

rock, brick, side of concrete drive anything can be used to set string length. my help would use guard . me ,i want the trimmer to work rite. no guard . added adv is its lighter. lot o fellas disagree here but trimming w a guard would be like felling a tree w a pocket knife ,for me.jmho
  6. You can't mess a trimmer up by running one line shorter than the other.

Great thing about no guard is you can trim around most trees from one spot. No more walking around a tree to trim it.

Run the line a little longer, trim more area at one time.

If the line gets to long for you, take it in the street and wind the throttle up and wear it down on the pavment.
  7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

when you restring the trimmer cut the two lines of string to the same size using snippers or pruners. obviously you have the pruners out, cause you just cut line from the reel.

after they are even they will wear evenly.

ive been told (by a dealer) running the line too long is not good, will burn the clutch.

but never had it happen to myself.
  8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys use both lines or only one line? I only use one to save money and it cuts just as well.
  10. KenH

from CT

I can definately tell the difference from 1 line to 2--- there is no way 1 line can cut just as well. Read all the threads going on now about double blades...same thing but with trimmers.