1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the answer, do you know?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FinerCutslawnCare, Apr 7, 2006.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, season is starting off great and picked up 5 acounts and one of my dads commercial properties! I want to get bigger instead of just being the next door neighbor kid that mows lawns! I was wondering what someone would prefer, I have about 1,500 right now but buy the end of the month i should have close to 2,000. I was just wondering if i get enough should i buy a 52" lazer for the 5 residential and one commmercial(fairly big) or should i get a 36" or 48" wb exmark tthp??? Thanks to all that reply:waving:
  2. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get the cost of the exmark and compare it to the Toro model 30197. Basically, the same machine but if price is about the same, please consider the T-bar advantage of the Toro, I have two of the 30197's and it's all I use. Personally, I'd go with the 48" because it's far more universal than the Z (not to mention about half the price), the 48" fixed deck conforms itself to more lawns than the Z, the Z is a bit of a luxury, very nice but not as practical.

Oh, by the way, you'll need a velke because you can not walk a Toro in 5th gear, even 4th is awful fast and you don't want to cut grass in 3rd gear if you want to get stuff done, the velke is a comfortable ride other than you're not sitting down. The velke'd 48" is the poor man's Z, but a joke it isn't and nobody will laugh at you much in the same way nobody laughs at the guy in the Lexus (which is the poor man's bmw).

You can get a brand-new 30197 with a single-wheel velke for 3,300 (don't get the 2-wheel velke because it fishtails at high speed).
    You can get a 1-year old for around 2400, a 1-2 year old for 1800-2000 or thereabouts.