What's the average price (new engine)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Nov 10, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just wondering what is the average price to have a Kohler engine replaced. Say 25-27 hp. After 2000+ hrs or when they finallly give out is it usually worth replacing? No I don't need one but I would still like some input. Reason being is it worth buying a water cooled engine over an air cooled. Is it cheaper to just put another Kohler engine on instead of payin more for say a 27 or 29 wc Kawasaki for instance. Or are the mowers pretty well worn out by the time you wear out a Kohler (which I suspect will run 2500 hrs)?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

On the same topic how many of you just rebuild instead of buying a new engine?
  3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I have two Great Dane origional surfers. I bought them in 1997 & 98. The engines were smoking. I love my surfers. I have a Super surfer also. hate it. I only use it when absolutely necessary. I replaced one engine 22 Kohler with a 27 Kohler. plug & play. I paid $1250 including shipping. Search Google & e-Bay. I've seen it from $1000 to $1999. I was thinking about an EFI for the other ($1500) I think it will also need the cpu (400)
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 7 year old 25hp Kohler and I asked my shop this past week if it would be wise to rebuild it since it probably has 2500hrs. First question they asked is it burinng oil, mine is not. They said bring them in for rings when they start using oil and you will get more use out of them. So I guess I'll keep on trucking until I burn oil or blow something. Would like some opinions on this also. Usually the Kohler engines replacement are less pricey than others.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The dealer I use does not recommend rebuilding old air cooled engines. With a new engine you get a 2 yr. warranty. The best I have ever seen with a rebuilt engine is 90 days. Now, if you are mechanically inclined it would be a lot cheaper to rebuild rather than replace. I purhased a used mower with a "semi-rebuilt" engine once. The thing nickled and dimed me to death.
    ericg likes this.
  6. greenbronco

greenbronco LawnSite Member

i have 2 walkers one with a 20 hp kohler and another with a 26efi kohler. Just for security i checked into replacement costs , the 20 is around $1300 , as far as the efi couldnt find it anywhere except at dealers. According to the dealer that engine should only be replaced by them , their estimate :at least 3 grand. maybe thats because of the efi
  7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Kohlers are to easy to just replace. Don't waste time rebuilding them , you would be better served to just R&R with new engine. New air cooled engines under $1500 and easy to change, beats the time spent reuilding plus parts , to gain another 500 to 1000 hrs if your lucky. With that said which is better water cooled or air ? I prefer L/C but I have both and it really does not matter that much to me as long as either engine is not giving me trouble.
    My L/C outlast my air cooled engines 2 to 1 but I have to replace hoses & antifreeze every 2 yrs. But that does not take but an hr. I should get double the lifespan with the L/C, less noise ,and vibration, more torque.

Either way just make sure you have the power you need, and the fuel consumption you can live with.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Anywhere from 1500-2000 dollars for the engine alone, install it yourself because there really isnt anything tricky, unbolt old bolt on new...
  9. greenbronco

greenbronco LawnSite Member

does ne one knowif you can , or has anyone ever taken the parts off thier old walker and switched the parts like the pulley drive? those not familiar with walkers the drive mechanism is on the flywheel side. also a different air filter /air intake system it appears. unless its pretty simple I myself hate to get into mixing and matching parts after the experiences ive had and it could surely void the warranty of the new engine.