1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the best 2 stoke oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greaseyknight, Jul 8, 2008.

1. greaseyknight

greaseyknight LawnSite Member

I am running a Fs 85 and am using the universal 2 stroke oil, it really cool as you only need one can of gas for all my tools. It is the oil that is everywhere in lowes and places like that, and claims that it works from 16:1 to 50:1. So what is the best oil and is the universal stuff any good? As I don't want the kill my Stihl
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I use Amsoil 100:1 smokeless synthetic. Never had a problem for 5+ years using it.
  3. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

We only use Echo 2 cycle oil for all the 2 cycles. Used for over 3 years, works great. I'd stay away from noname universals.
  4. kogafortwo

kogafortwo LawnSite Member

Good decision: Stihl standard orange bottle mix, 89 octane gas

Better decision: Stihl Ultra (white bottles), 93 octane gas

I have a shed full of Stihl equipment and the few extra dollars per year on fuel and mix is well worth it to me. And it runs great in the non-Stihl stuff too. I have an ancient saw that calls for 25:1, but I run the Stihl mix at 50:1 and it's fine.

Friends don't let friends run junk fuel.
  5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally run Stihl Ultra with 93 octane gas from BP only. I also run 2 mix cans so thing that I can completely empty one before I have to add anything to it and I have my standby can there and fill the other can when I am at the station. I can always be sure that my mix is as close to 50:1 as is possible.
  6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried a few and the best oil for me is Amsoil ASE at 80:1
    Stihl oil users make me wonder... Stihl recommended their standard oil in all their equipment and after many (many) engines failure they changed their recommendation to their ultra oil. Stihl a lot of engines failure thought... :hammerhead:
  7. gear head

gear head LawnSite Member

Castrol R bean oil smells the best
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use Amsoil at 80:1 with Shell mid grade gas. I have Stihl and Shindaiwa 2 strokes.
  9. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

Amsoil 100:1
  10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member