1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what's the best 48", and how much$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 24, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what's the best 48" wb i can get, and how much will it cost? i love my old bobcat 48, but in wet grass, it just don't go, i guess the belts get wet. any ideas? my main concern is cutting quality, and the ability to handle wet grass. thanx
  2. out till dark

out till dark LawnSite Member

I love my swzu 48 18hp honda plenty of torque for the thick wet grass but it was 6100. I worked for a large lco for 10 years and they ran buttons and bobcats and walkers and when it was wet it was nothing but cabbage heads.some guy across the street from a customer i do has a 19hp kaw on a 48 exmarks both machines cut very well but i feel the exmark has a better discharge spray but i wanted a tank that i could beat the snot out of it and thats why i went with scag
  3. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

I just demoed a John Deere 7H17 with 48"/17HP in wet grass and it handled great. The clippings were tiny, no clogging, no clumps, deck was clean, and it pulled me on a Proslide too :blob2:
  4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Bobby have you tried using belt dressing on the belts. Every belt drive should come with a lifetime supply when you buy it. It keeps my belts sticking and pulling me on my slide even in heavy rain and when it get dusty from the leaves in fall.
  5. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Exactly what I was going to recommend, when I used to run my old Snapper (Kees) 36 full-time the belt dressing was the only way to keep those skinny single belts running. Used it on the old eXmarks too. It does tend to cause some build-up but that's easily remedied. Even with a new mower that old Bobcat will probably stay in service...
  6. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

I run a Great Dane 48 inch hydro 15hp kaw. It cuts great and drags me around behind it no problem. Now they put the 17hp kaws on them. I paid 3 grand for it last June. Go check one out.
  7. bobbygedd

from NJ

i never tried belt dressing, i'll try it
  8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob-Cat mowers are definitely the best walk behind mowers. I have a 48" Bob-Cat w/15 hp kawasaki ,
    belt drive and I love it!!!!!!!!
    The Bob-Cat mowers have a supurb qualaty of cut, great striping, and really tough construction!!!!!
    A Bob-Cat will NOTdissappoint you!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. bobbygedd

from NJ

the hydro is $1000 more. should i get the hydro?
  10. I WOULD GO HYDRO ..even if you dont get slipping belts and that goop they are talking about works ..hydro is more productive and has positive reverse ..and at the end of the day you will be less tired from haveing to bull the belt drive around backing it up etc etc..Im a big strong boy and i got pretty tired after about 10 or 12 hours behind a belt drive when we were useing them years ago ...still get tired behind the hydro doing those kinds of hours but less so with the hydro....if you can afford the hydro go hydro you wont regret it .