1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the best backpack sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by River Parish Lawn Care, Aug 4, 2005.

1. River Parish Lawn Care

River Parish Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Looking for suggestions on commercial grade backpack sprayers. Will be used solely to apply herbicides.

2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with Shindaiwa.
  3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

Solo all the way! Or Lesco they're built by Solo.
  4. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I just recently retired my first Solo sprayer. It lasted about 20 years. At the time I bought that one they were made in West Germany. I don't know where they are made now, but over the last several years I have had many problems with them. My distributor even stopped selling Solos because of so many leaks. I've gone to SP Systems sprayers now. So far, they seem to be of better quality.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

BIRCHMEIER. A little expensive but they last forever. I finally have to replace an o-ring after 10 years.
  6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got 10 SP-3 , the best so far.
    Solo has many leak problems from the lids .
    I sent 4 back to the factory and they sent me 4 new ones , same thing , trashed 'em.
    http://www.tessmanseed.com/ they have the best deals
  7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an sp-1 and just ordered another for roundup only. They work great, never any problems so far.
  8. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

BIRCHMIER ...by far the best lasts alot longer then a solo that's for sure ...
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

SP Systems, Echo (made by SP) and Birchmier.
  10. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I recently got a Shindaiwa 4 gallon. Built like a tank and all the stuff goes in the top so if it springs a leak it doesn't go down your butt crack. Has a nice handle on it too which makes it easy to move around. My tip drips a little but it is a minor issue.