What's the Best Consumer Walk-Behind Mower?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by OldLawnMowerMan81, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OldLawnMowerMan81

OldLawnMowerMan81 LawnSite Member

What is really and seriously the best new consumer walk-behind push mower out there (hopefully with a Briggs & Stratton, Honda or Kawasaki engine)?

Brands that come to my mind:
    Sears Craftsman
    Toro
    John Deere
    Honda

Regards,

Ben (OldLawnMowerMan81)

2. D8dozerboy

D8dozerboy LawnSite Member

From what little I know
    Snaper, Toro, Lawnboy... I love my 2 cycle lawnboy Tecumseh is supost to have a good engine

3. Steve V.

Steve V. LawnSite Member

I have a Honda that I bought in 1984 and it works fine. I also have one of the plastic deck two blade machines and it's o.k. but the older one is the real workhorse. The only reason I wouldn't buy another Honda would be to get a true commercial walk behind with a wider deck. The only thing I don't like about both of them is that the deck can't adjust to a height that I would like. I have a very thick lawn and would like another 1/2" of deck height.

Steve

4. OldLawnMowerMan81

OldLawnMowerMan81 LawnSite Member

My favorite consumer walk-behinds are those that were produced anywhere from 1969 (the first model year of all new lawn mowers that met the newly-revised ANSI B71.1-1968 standard for blade safety) through the first few years of mowers (1980-1985) meeting the CPSC-mandated standards of June 30, 1982 that required such blade-stopping devices like a blade-brake clutch (which stops only the blade and not the engine) or manual restart (aka "zone start" or "extended rope start", which will stop both the blade and the engine) as well as electric restart (engine is activated by way of either a 6V or 12V electric starter motor).

My favorite starter on an engine is either the vertical-pull start (Briggs & Stratton called theirs the "Pull & Go") or electric start with a key.

~Ben

5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda is definitley the best resi 21".

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Bullseye.

Toro used to be good, now is so-so.
    JD - same story.
    Sears was always "just alright".

Honda is definately the way to go, although I will agree the older ones were better.
    Looking at the way most companies manufacture now though, Honda is still on top.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

21'' toros are nice

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

My Ariens 21 has been bulletproof for many, many years. It's more mechanical than some of the newer designs, but I'm not convinced that that is not a benefit. The hydraulics and electronics can be just things to break. My Ariens came with rear bag, side discharge and mulching kits all standard. Switching from bag to mulch is easier than tying your shoes. It has variable speed on the travel rate and the best B&S motor in its class (diamond series). It is available with both fixed and swivel wheels for the front. Stick with the swivel design unless you have some fairly steep slopes to cross.

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to have to root for the Lawnboy on this one. It stays to hills real well, has a great engine, and seldom needs maintenance.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Ariens has a really great 21" mower that has been built almost unchanged, since the late 80's. Only major change is that they have put a Kawasaki engine on them. The deck is really well designed. It does well at mulching, side discharge, or bagging. It has a variable speed drive system that is trouble free. I think the price is getting up around $700.00 or more now. Our shop has serviced some of these machines that are 20 years old and still going strong.