What's the Best Deck/Mower for Wet Grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpel2004, Feb 26, 2006.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

In your professional opinion, what would you consider to be the best, most efficient mower for cutting in thick wet grass (explain why)?

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

That depends on the size of lawn you are mowing. Are you talking about 2 acres of grass or are you talking about a 2500 sq. ft. lawn?

3. cpel2004

Avg homeowner from 5k to 2 acres 3-4 inches high and with the morning dew. Is it Exmark, JD, Grasshopper, Hustler.

4. hardcharger

hardcharger LawnSite Member

husler 60' sux in wet stuff . loads up the 23 kawasaki terribly. im sure larger kohler ingines are better . ive tried several blade combos too still not satisfied, not sure an the others,

5. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

That would be the 7-IRON deck from Deere! There deck is just a good deck all around, all one piece deck with no joints. And a non-clumping discharge to go with it!:)

6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%! The 7-Iron deck is GREAT in thick and wet grass.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Examrk Ultra-Cut, I've cut in down pours all day long and the deck still performs. Im sure the New triton Deck will be even better.

8. cpel2004

Deereman, obviously we see what mowers your are biased too. Based upon the different manufactures Jd's seemed to be under powered based upon hp to deck ratio. Is the Hp to Deck ratio overated in your opinion? If that's the case choppers should win hands down, but guys compplain all the time about there decks.

9. cpel2004

Hardcharger, thanks for responding. Manufactures spend alot of money on advertising, why do you think that is. I though the hustler was designed to cut in thick wet grass? Is this untrue? Bottom line would you recommend it to a friend or buy another one?

10. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't tried everybrand out there but I currently run exmark. Ultracut deck and trivantage deck. They leave a very nice finished cut but are terrible on wet grass. I have tried different blade combos, deck pitch, rpm, etc. Same results clumping and scraping the deck on wet grass. Just bought a John Deere ztrack with the 7 iron deck. I am hoping it will help this spring. The Hustlers new rx-7 deck just came out and is suppose to help in the wet conditions as well.