What's the best extended length hedge trimmer out there ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grapeford, Sep 6, 2006.

1. grapeford

grapeford LawnSite Member

I've gone through Echo and now Husqvarna ext. Hedge trimmers, they don't hold up. Either the housing cracks, or the bearings inside the housing give out. Does anyone know if the same company supplies all the heads for all the brands, cause i can't get one to hold up. My dealer repaired the Husky a minimum of 4 times, and i don't want to deal with it anymore. What's the best out there ?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand the problem we have used Echo hedgeTrimmers for many years and still have the original which is many years old and still running. The new articulating trimmer from Echo seems pretty darn solid. And they have a new one with short shaft on a 230 trimmer head. Can't imagine that not holding up for you, unless your are running 40 hours a week.
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We you Stihl. They are subjected to heavy use, many hard hours,no problems with the cutter heads.
  4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Try a Tanaka.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have to say my sthil hlk75 extended hedge trimmer has held up great . no problems with the cutting part -the engine is another story. mauryama makes a great unit but its too heavy for long term use.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'll second that.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

You need to have 2 sets period !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 for everyday light trimming. For light stuff I use Echo they are OK but I like them because they are light. If you use them for girly stuff they are pretty good. For Heavy cleanups I have not found anything close the the heavy duty Maruyamas, these things can cut a ZTR in half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My Tanaka extended shaft hedge trimmers run too slow, don't cut for beans. Plus they are much heavyer than my Echo.
  9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl HL 100 with the articulating head. Built solid, and has held up wonderfully. You can barely tell I've used it from the performance.
  10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Tanaka supplies the heads to Husqvarna.