1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best landscape design software for the money?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by exmarkking, Sep 2, 2013.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe it, so is there a program for less than a thousand?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

There might be, but will it really do what you want it to is the question.

3. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Dynascape that I purchased for my Landscape Architect. She played with it a while but likes to do hand drawings and will not use it even though it is a very good software.

I am willing to sell it. It is version 5. If interested pm me.

4. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

This is what I use: http://www.gstarcad.us/

GStarCad does everything Autocad can but isn't a ripoff. It's made in China but it gets the job done well. As far as I was able to gather, it is the best Autocad alternative. Granted I haven't been using it for very long but I was able to make a landscape design plan with it for my first landscape design bid (which I will be giving shortly).

I just use a compass, roller measuring tool and angle measuring tool to survey the property which is somewhat time consuming but makes an accurate design plan.

5. jlcrox2

jlcrox2 LawnSite Member

I just sold a job with iScape. It's 10 bucks for iPad. The plant library is minimals but when scaling them to photos you don't have to use the exact plant. I resized am oleander to be a schip laurel and it gives the same effect. From the customers perspective, they liked it. It's easier for them to see on the front of their home rather than on a 2 d. I do still hand draw to scale for the plan, but this is a great quick and simple sales tool.

6. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a group of CAD alternatives called IntelliCAD. I'm guessing that's what this one is. Do a search on IntelliCAD and you'll come up with a number of vendors.

Just FYI, when I clicked on the link I got a malware alert/blocked page from my security program, so you may want to give your PC a thorough check if you downloaded anything from them.

To the OP, I have a question. What is it about the hand drawing process that is taking so long? What's a typical job that you're doing?

7. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it takes to long. We don't do huge crazy landscape designs, we are mainly a maintenance company. I'm in this situation because I can't justify an expensive design program, when it is a small percentage of our services we offer.

8. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

GstarCad is not Intellicad.

I looked into the pros / cons of GstarCad vs. intelliCad thoroughly before making my decision. GstarCad just seemed to be all around the better product to me so I went with it.

Sorry that you found Malware... I run Nod32, one of the best antivirus around, and it hasn't found anything on that website. I've been running Gstarcad for some time with no problems / virus symptoms. The only antivirus I know of that can spot stuff Nod32 can't is Kaspersky.

To the OP and who it may concern, that are a few Autocad alternatives, although I will not be doing any comparisons myself.

Intellicad
    GStarCad
    BricsCad
    ZWCad

9. Fitz's Landscaping

Fitz's Landscaping LawnSite Member

Just bought pro-landscape looking forward to selling more jobs! I was iffy but after reading alot about it, I think it's gonna pay off.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It does. Have fun and really take the time to learn it by watching the tutorials. After a while you'll get fast with the designs.