Whats the best LawnTractor on the market?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cooper725, May 1, 2005.

1. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

Starting new lawn mowing business, Have 30 sites already and going to purchase new equipment. In your opionion whats the best lawn tractor and weed wacker out there? Best in price and reliability? Also any opinons on trailers.

2. Cutter lawns

Cutter lawns LawnSite Member

hmmmm... let's see best "lawn tractor" and "weed wacker"
    What kind of grass?
    How big of lots?
    W/B or ztr?
    Price range?
    Deck size?
    hp wanted?
    Dealers in area?
    Demoed any?

Did you read any of the posts before you posted this or did you jump into something without any research at all?

I don't know maybe I'm just confused with the question.

3. SeacoastDesignsL&L

SeacoastDesignsL&L LawnSite Member

I wouldn't recommend a tractor if you are mowing thirty accounts a week. Look into a commercial walkbehind or zero turn, much more efficient.

4. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I'm no expert on tractors(I would recomend a used zero turn if money is the issue)but I would think it would be hard to beat a John Deere.

5. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious..........How did you get the 30 accounts so quickly? I could use the advise.

6. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

Well this part of my research, I have been scoring the net for info on what mowers are reliable and are considered a "Good" mower. I have about $10,000 to spend on a Riding Lawn mower, a pair of gas operated weed wackers, and a decent Trailer for my Light truck. All of the lawns are about 1/2 acre each. A few are larger.
    Would like the deck size to be about 48' or so. This is just a part time gig in which myself and another guy have contracts to mow 30 lawns every 7 days. That also depends on rate of growth too. Have two John deere dealerships near by. Have used simplicity's, Huskie zero turn and a monster John deere with 72' deck before. Love the John deere but think its a might big for this operation. Got all the accounts through word of mouth. Offered a deal that first mowing was free with three paid mowings to all customers. That seemed an incentive enough for them I guess.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you can afford it get all commercial equipment.... lawn tractors are homeowners and wont last very long, i started out with my craftsman lawn tractor.... but am looking at used commercial stuff now..

8. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

THose are some big mowers considering they have deck sizes of 48' & 72' .LOL

9. lawnboy33

lawnboy33 LawnSite Member

definately a STEINER! around $14,000 but worth every penny.. I like echo weed trimmers ,light weight and you can use the edge-it with them.

10. premiereman

premiereman LawnSite Member

Personally I like the exmark hp ztr with a 23 hp kohler on it and a 52 inch deck. As for trimmers look at the stihl fs55 they are great and durable.So heres a good thing for you as well. With as many lawns as you 2 have got. Why not take full advantage of the 0 down 0% interest and 0 payments for 12 months with toro or exmark. So what if you pay $6-8,000 for the mower. you make no payments no interest and it'll cost you about $2000 or so to use it for the whole mowing season. Then sell it with the remainder of waranty and get another one .???????????????New every year?????????? sounds good and doable.I just got a new toro walk behind with them terms so it'll be gone next year and I will get a new one then . good luck :waving: