What's the best leaf loader?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawn, Jan 19, 2008.

1. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to buy one this season, any recommendations?

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

get one with the highest horse power you can find/afford. thats the biggest issue people by little underpowered loaders than overwork them and they dont last as long as the should.
  3. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

I have a little wonder 27hp leaf loader its is the biggest baddest money can buy. It can drag two full grown men with a plug hose. Oh yea that almost never happens, only wet wet leaves like in a rain storm.:weightlifter:
  4. nathaniellawnwv

nathaniellawnwv LawnSite Member

My dad works for the city and they have one with a 6 cylinder 300 Ford and another with a 4 cylinder Perkins diesel.

Now those are some REAL leaf loaders - governor broke on the Ford and it started sucking up street bricks!:eek:

(These suckers are obviously too big for any pickup.)
  5. lawn

What about the giant vac? is it good?
  6. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

ODB makes, in my opinion the best leaf loaders I have ever seen pr used. The Little wonder is a close second with the talon impeller. I have the odb and wow its great! 27hp liquid cooled Kawisaki, 16 inch intake and 12 exhaust i think. Mounted on its own little trailer. Great machine!
  7. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 11 hp Giant Vac. It works great. I have it mounted on the front of my dump trailer. It has enough power for dry leaves but the wet leaves will give it a bit of a workout. I would go with atleast a 16 hp.
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

We are happy with our giant vac 30hp Wisconsin works pretty good:drinkup:
  9. lawn

Thank you so much for your help!
    Today I bought a Giant Vac 30 HP Wisconsin.
    I hope that will do the job. I decided to go with the 30 HP b/c the 20 HP required more maintenance, so after doing the math ( cost of parts, labor, time and hassle) I decided to go with the big one.
  10. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

We've got an old Giant Vac with the 30 HP Wisconsin. It's a leaf-munching monster! Make sure your shoe laces are tied and your terriers are locked up. We run a mesh tarp on the top of a 14' dump body, as you need to let all that air escape once the leaves get into the truck.