Whats the best machine for grading?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bligh61, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

Any input for finish grading? Laser levelers , bobcats etc.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bligh

I like a box blade for finish grade. This requires a skilled operator and years of practice to do correctly.

Lazier guided grading equipment is a little out of the price range of most landscapers. However Lazier Levels come in all price ranges. I have a lazier Level with Lazier Detector. I find it pays for it self very quickly in time saving. Mine can be operated by one man and has a 2,000 ft range.

3. MidGALandscaper

MidGALandscaper LawnSite Member

I use a JD4310 and JD4720 with a Harley Rake. Just set the depth and go. You will be amazed. Pretty pricey though - around 6k.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Decent sized skid steer + Harley Rake = very efficient grading machine.

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Box blade is a cheaper way to go though it does take a practiced touch. Harley rake does an awesome job, but is pricey.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't own one of these. Never used one. But at GIE, I saw guys who had never seen it, but were proficient with a skid steer doing really acceptable work within 20 minutes. And it was quick.

roller level.jpg

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is just incredible how far this equipment has come in the last 20 years. These machines are just awesome...especially the laser guided.

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of these will do :) All joking aside the harley rake works well

cat.JPG

9. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

i like the dingo with a harley, its a little small when we get the 3/4 acre and larger lots but when were in 6' from house to property line subdivisions there is no subsitute for a small compact machine

10. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

A crew of illegal migrant workers with rakes and shovels. Beats all power tools, is awful cheap, and you don't have to do anything but watch. :dizzy: