1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats the best mower to get

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cooksjr537, Oct 1, 2003.

1. wrm53

wrm53 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I go along with what lrose2 stated. The dealer support is the most important to me. I would rather pay a little more for the equipment and get the dealer support than get a deal on equipment and not have any support.
  2. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

I you're going for the ZTR be sure to ck ou the Hustler Z, Super Z or Mini Z. Well built and do well on slopes too.
  3. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I can only base my opinion on one,Exmark. Never owned any other commercial mowers. Love my equip, good quality, good cut, no major problems.
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, same here.
  5. gergaler

gergaler LawnSite Member

I bought a brand new ferris w/b hydro dual drive in early 2000 and have used it strong every summer 30-40 accounts. Never once had to even replace a blade belt let alone yune any hydro pumps. My thoughts on a w/b i would put my money on ferris spend the xtra money
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. A 48" isn't more maneuverable. The 52" is just as manuverable as the 48" but have more advantages than the 48".
    1. The 48" has very very little trim side ability. The 52" has more overhang on the deck to get it closer to things. Less trimming involved.
    2. The 52" has more ground speed, so with bigger properties you have more ability with faster speed and more deck width.
    3. The 52" HP is the same lenght as a w/b so you can take it into any place a w/b can go, same with 48".
    4. I have a 48" mower and 52". 99.995% of the time the 52" will go ANYWHERE a 48" will go.
    5. My business is mainly residential customers and i've run the 48" and the 52". The 52" lazer HP is the perfect mower for it. I can take it anywhere a 48" will go but still have the speed and ability of a bigger mower for the larger properties. I keep a 36" on the trailer for gated areas.
  7. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

Thers alot of good mowers out there you need to find a good dealer. With out good service the equipment is no better. I know some good dealers in Durham Raleigh and Burlington area.