Whats the Best Mower?!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by afftandem, Jan 5, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

ive looked and ive looked..... im goin to be doing residential lawns this coming season, each about 1/3 to 1/2 an acre.. i think 60" is too much.. i like 52"s... im also looking for a walk behind about 36 or wright's 36 stander.... mainly it seems as though exmark, toro, and (perhaps) the wright sentar are the best riders.... does exmark make the best walk behind??? whats the opinions on the other riders and wb's?? encore?? ferris?? JOHN DEERE???
    what will give me the best quality cut... for those with the bigger riders, 48" plus, have you had any slack about bringing them on your customers lawns??... remember, im targeting $300k plus homes.. are thes customers more apt to complain about bigger mowers on their lawns???? does the wright stander (even though 52") look less intimidating to customers????
    HELP! first big mower buy.. thank you.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Didn't I just see this post in the commercial forum? Get what works best for you that you can afford. Will you have to deal with gates, obstacles etc. Get something with hydros if you can. You may find it easier to go with a 52. Trully the best mower is the one that cutts grass the fastest, leaves a nice stripe,has great dealer support and is paid for not financed. Could be any good commercial brand really.

3. Roadside Mower

Roadside Mower LawnSite Member

I have worked with many different types of equipment used in municipal grounds maintenance by municipal employees. This type of service tends to be even harsher than equipment used by LCO's. The main reason is that nobody cares and maintenance is minimal. With that said, my experience with the Gravely line has been excellent as it can take most anything that public employees dish out. The newer line of walk behinds and commercial zero turns are nice machines. I especially like Gravely's 34" zero turn commercial rider. I also work as a technician for a lawn and garden equipment dealer on the side.
    But my yen for Gravely aside, most commercial equipment, given proper care will be satisfactory. I work on all brands and for the most part they are all great machines. I suggest that you look at all brands. Also look through the aftermarket parts catalogs such as Rotary or Stens to find out which machine is best supported with aftermarket blades, casters, pullys, belts and stuff. These aftermarket parts will save you big $$ over OEM parts.
    Remember that the mower you select needs to make you money. Look at your needs and size the mower so you can complete a mow in the shortest amount of time and still deliver a top quality cut. It can't pay for itself if it is too big and has to sit on the trailer waiting for a bigger lot. If you are mowing 1/3 to 1/2 acre sites I would recommend most anything from a 32" to 50" walkbehind or a 34" to 52" zero turn.

Good Luck