Whats the best paint for decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I was looking at repainting the deck on my dixie and I was curious what you guys use and whats the strongest. I was thinking of having the top linexed so it would last alot longer, what do you think?

2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I have never painted a mower deck before although mine could use a fresh coat. I have used an epoxy paint on industrial floors that after it hardened you could not scratch it chip it at all. I got the paint from sherwin williams and they have all different colors. it is somewhat expensive at around $70 for two gallons but you may be able to get it in smaller amounts. Home Depot also has it not sure of price. Epoxy paint is two part like JB Weld so when you use should have every thing ready and clean. Also if you get enough you can do the shop or garage floor to. Just ask the paint guys for better instructions.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The best way to paint it would be to have it powder coated. You can do this yourself buy purchasing the equipment through Eastwood but I would have it done by a Pro.

Line-X or Rhino lining would be good for the top and skirt, but you want the bottom to be slick so I would powder coat it.

Jimbo

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I cant argue with powder but to bake the deck he would need a huge oven but a professional would have one. How ever epoxy will bw smooth and is tough as steel when applied right.:cool:

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually you do not need an oven. There is a heat lamp device which Eastwood sells. You powder coat the item and then move the lamp over the area to cure it. You keep moving around until your done.
    I dont recommend he invest in this equipment just to paint his deck though. I would take it somewhere to have it done.
    As far as epoxy I would have to take your word because I have never used it myself.

Jimbo

6. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I would use automotive type paint w/clearcoat. That's what I use on my trailers and mowers. It is very durable, and it is easy to spray.