Whats the best piece of equip. for tilling large areas 1"-3"?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lamblawnscaping, Mar 9, 2002.

1. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

What is good for tilling up lawns that need to be renovated. I don't want to till very deeply. I just want something that will loosen up the first 1"-3" so I can rake out bumps and seed. I need something that will be manuverable enough to get into tight areas, but can cover some ground at the same time.

2. Aerate it many times. Make many passes.

Roto tiller is you best bet, but time consuming.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Get a used garden disc cheap, i got this one for $35 at a flea market type sale, actually at a tractor show (antique tractors). Make sure the discs are dished correctly like mine, make a weight rake if it don't have one, pile on 75# and pull it around 4 mph (any faster and it usually will kinda hop around) and just go crisscross different directions. May not work the same in all types of grass. Definately cut the grass down to 2" or shorter first if possible. that makes it easier for it to cut. This may not be quite as effecient as an aerator, but cheaper for sure! My racks, are just cheap 3/8" threaded rod bolted on the frame and i stack gym weights on it. You will see short stub ones, but after this pic i put on some about 1.5' each on each end.
    Eric

[​IMG]

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Get a used garden disc cheap, i got this one for $35 at a flea market type sale, actually at a tractor show (antique tractors). Make sure the discs are dished correctly like mine, make a weight rake if it don't have one, pile on 75# and pull it around 4 mph (any faster and it usually will kinda hop around) and just go crisscross different directions. May not work the same in all types of grass. Definately cut the grass down to 2" or shorter first if possible. that makes it easier for it to cut. This may not be quite as effecient as an aerator, but cheaper for sure! My racks, are just cheap 3/8" threaded rod bolted on the frame and i stack gym weights on it. You will see short stub ones, but after this pic i put on some about 1.5' each on each end.
    Eric

disc.jpg

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Try this site http://www.glenmac.com/ they make the harley rake for mini skid steers and other size equipment.