What's the best ramp set up?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 25, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What are the best size and kind of ramps for a Scag or other 36 in wb to go into a pickup bed? I was told that 2-10x2's would be good with the metal ramps attatched to the ends. However, is it better to spend a lot more and go with aluminum or metal ramps? It's like $20 or $30 for the ramp kit which u can use to make your own wooden ramps but like $100-150 for metal ramps. I was told by the dealer that the easiest way to load this machine is to back it up to load it. If at all possible, I'd like to save $ and trouble of having a trailer until it's completley necessary.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

did you ever goet a 36" wb ?

3. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a trailer. Although the Quick website (www.betteroutdoorproducts.com) has a video of someone loading a Quick-36 into a pickup with ramps I personally think that catching even a lightweight (350lbs) mower after you slip one wheel off an 11 1/2 inch wide piece of wet, oily, treated timber and then knock the other ramp off the tailgate would ruin my mood for the entire day. :realmad: But you may have much better upper-body strength, eye-hand coordination and luck than I do. For the price of the expanded metal, curved ATV ramps you have got to be able to find a used utility trailer. Try www.americanclassifieds.com or www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html

Or stay real close to home and take the mower to work.:walking:

4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I went up down a ramp with a 27" snowblower 50 times a day almost no problems... it tends to chase you one the way down. When I tried it with a 36" toro it was WAY TOO scary. I had to buy a trailer, but I could see people doing it with a quick 36.

If you're going to get ramps get metal, if you make your own with wood (I've done this) they can be precarious at times.

5. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Driving through Plainfield one day last week, I saw a small, used 5x10 trailer in someones front yard. Here in the next day or so I will be driving by there again ... I look and see if it is still there ... see if there is a price on it ... or at least I'll get you the phone number. This trailer can't be all that much ... and it would be a whole heck of a lot easier and safer then loading it in the back of the truck.

There's also in Plainfield a WB I have seen for sale ... but it's been there for a few weeks. Must either be over priced ... something wrong with it ... or both. Not sure what it is ... I have only seen it from a distance. It is red ... and looks to be smaller (like a 36" or so). Since it has been there so long ... my guess is it is over priced.

When I get the info ... I'll put it in a PM to you.

Dave

6. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Just buy the metal ramps. Paid 105$ at pepboys for them. I run my quick 36 into my truck bed 20 times a day 2 days a week and havent had one problem!(knock on wood). Before you worry about the ramps though, I think you need to get the mower.

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

8. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Hes not going to spend that much money. He already said he doesnt want to spend the 100-150$ on metal ramps.

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't wait to hear the story about how the mower fell off the ramp he uses.

10. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about ready to get one. It's a toss up between a used Toro Proline for $800 or a new Scag for $3000+