whats the best ride on spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EARTH5, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

West

That is actually the 3rd Ric-A-Green. The first two were worn out. But they also were started with the oldest Walker I had at the time. This one is a 1997 model. I think the most expensive part was the $ 99.00 12V pump. I know there isn't $ 250.00 in the whole sprayer. The Spreader is no big deal so I didn't put it on when I took the picture tonight. You can see a heavy shadow as it was late in the day after Larry's post about buying baby wipes.

In Edit

BTW My camera is a 14 megapixel and I am real Happy with the picture quality.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Nice clean and simple design Ric. looks like it would do the job!

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If you look on the Forward control lever, you can see a horn button that activates the pump for boom spraying.

If you look at the Hose to the boom you can see a fast snap coupling where I hook a Spray wand to do touch up or spot spraying. I also have a dual electric set up so I can turn the pump on full time without holding the button. That works great when I use the wand for spot spraying.

In Edit

If you do a search here, you will find several set ups very much like mine. And at a very reasonable cost of fabrication

4. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Off topic

Ric, thanks for calling the other day. HD has all the fitting so I will start to experiment with them. The nozzles come in a pack of 4 0, 15, 30, and 40 degrees i think that is right 3000 and 4000psi.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Richard

That sounds about right, but I am thinking more like 0, 15, 25, and 40.

Sorry I got you hooked on "Ric's Tricks". I am sure many are looking at these as pure Abe Goldfarb material and I really don't care what they think. The important thing is they work for me. I am a big believer in being set up. Everything from a Computer/Printer in the truck to quick change tips we are talking about.

6. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,

The best investment you made was in that camera. I have alaways pictured your innovative ability in my head but, you have gone a step further. That setup is really nice. So thought out, yet so simple. All of these ride on spreaders have the same pump and spray system. No need to drop 6-9k on equipment when you have it already. I know you posted pics of that toro. Did you ever get the finished pics up?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Holy cow! That lawn is a "ten" on a ten scale. Nice pics! That Walker will turn on a dime. I also like the push button activation of the pump. We had a ZTR that did that, and it was nice. (LESCO Z-two sprayer/spreader --- same as Cub Cadet "tank"). This is a feature I wish the T3000 units had so if you're not spraying, the pump won't be on all the time. Thanks for the pics. :usflag:

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

West

Larry Stone billed himself as the Frugal Agronomist. Maybe I should be the Frugal Equipment Freak. Yep for under a thousand I turned a worn out Lawn mower into Spread & Spray machine. One thing I forgot to say is how easy the Walker is to handle ONE HANDED. I can also set the forward Speed control to a preset speed and it will keep that speed. Not the the fastest mower, but just fast enough to do a good job.

The Toro is a work in progress and while I am using it, I am still a little embarrassed to show it until I actually get it the way I want it.

BTW I have some other set ups I will show pictures of as a finish repainting them. Once again I am ashamed to show a Leopard spotted trailer with a couple of Skid Sprayer on it. But it comes in handy doing the Odd ball jobs where I need to tank up a special mix. One of those skid sprayers stays tanked with Roundup 24/7. I do a number of turf burn outs for several landscapers.

9. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Ric, I have been in the air for 19+ years and some of the guys I fly with have 45+ years I never ignor experience. For the guy that thinks he know it all good luck to him.
    So keep the info coming ? Tips 3000 or 4000spi?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Richard

3000 PSI tip is good enough. But remenber at a lower PSI you get lower GPM. Therefore my 2 gpm free flow pump uses a 5.5 GPM 3000 PSI tip.